Wednesday, November 19, 2008
WFMW (best coupon tips ever!)
Happy Wednesday to you! It's time once again to post another WFMW tip!

I scored some really great deals this week and I thought it might be nice if I shared some of my best coupon tips to help you save money to.  Here's what I do:

1) I collect as many Sunday papers as I can and save them for about 10 weeks in a large 3 ring binder using page protector sleeves.  I only purchase 1 Sunday paper for the coupons.  I get about 3-5 more coupon sets free from co-workers and neighbors that don't use coupons.  Your real savings come when you have multiple coupons for one product!

2) I sit down every Wednesday to look through the grocery store weekly ads and I try to match up items that I'd normally buy with coupons that I have.  I don't get the Wednesday paper, but I always seem to get those Wednesday grocery store weekly ads in my mailbox.  I've even gone online to the grocery store's website and found their weekly ads in a digital form.

3) I use Coupon Mom Grocery Database to look up which coupons are available for the products I want.

4) I do free coupon swapping for any coupons that I don't have but might want.

5) I print out online coupons at Grocery Games and various other online locations.   Some online coupons have print out limits, others do not.

6) If I can't find a coupon for a product that I use and like, I'll call or email the company that makes the product and ask them to mail me coupons.  90% of the time, they do!

7) I make a list before I go to the store and stick to it!  I clip out only the coupons I want to use in advance and bring those to the store with the list.  I try not to do impulse shopping.  

8) I try to pay attention when the cashier is ringing up my purchases and scanning my coupons to catch mistakes.  And I always review my receipt before leaving the store to look for mistakes.  If I find one, and I have before, I go to customer service and make them correct the problem.

9) I stock pile.  When items that I'll use are one sale, I find as many coupons as I can get my hands on and I purchase a lot of those products.  That way I don't have to buy those products when they're not on sale!  If I can get really good deals, I'll buy extra so that I can donate some food to my local food bank!

10) I ask for reinchecks.  Yesterday I wanted to buy five 5 lb bags of C&H sugar because I was going to get them for .50/each with the store sale and my coupons combined.  Unfortunately, too many people beat me to them and there was no sugar left in that grocery store!  At the checkout aisle, I asked the cashier for a reincheck on the sugar so that I could still get the sale price when they restocked, even though the store sale would be over by that time.  The great thing about this particular store is that their reinchecks have no expiration date so I could wait a month or longer to buy that sugar and still get the sale price, as long as I don't wait so long that my coupons expire!

Believe me when I tell you that if you're disciplined about using coupons, you will see a drastic reduction in your grocery bill!

Okay, now that you know all my couponing secrets,  just for fun I'd like to pose a question to you all.  How much do you think I spent on the groceries listed in the picture above?  Go ahead, click on the image to enlarge.

Let me make it easier by itemizing what I purchased yesterday:

* Dial liquid hand soap- quantity 5
* Betty Crocker specialty potatoes- quantity 9
* Colgate adult toothbrush- quantity 2
* Hunts tomatoes (28-29 oz cans)- quantity 2
* Quaker oatmeal (18 oz)- quantity 6
* Zatarain's rice mix- quantity 2
* Land O Lakes buter(15-16 oz)- quantity 4
* SuperPretzel snack- quantity 1
* Viva paper towels- quantity 3
* Quaker chewy granola bars (8 pack)- quantity 2
* International Delight creamer (32 oz)- quantity 2
* Hershey's extra dark chocolate bar (4.5 oz)- quantity 1
* Blistex chap stick- quantity 3
* French's French fried onions (6 oz)- quantity 3
* Kellogg's pop tarts (8 pack)- quantity 3
* Mrs. Smith pre-made pie crust (2 pack)- quantity 1
* Suave deodorant (2.6 oz)- quantity 2

Here's a hint, I used coupons so I got a pretty good deal.

So, take a guess and leave me your price amount in my comments section and I'll enter you in a drawing for 12 free holiday recipe cards (the winner will be chosen on Saturday).

I'll come back on Saturday and post my grocery amount (I'll include a copy of my receipt) so that you can see how much using coupons saved me.  Trust me, you'll be impressed!

Using coupons to drastically reduce my grocery bill works for me. To find out what works for others, be sure to check out the other links at Shannon's, the creator of Works-For-Me Wednesday!

Some of my past WFMW entries are found here.

Labels: , ,

5:00 AM
24 comments


24 Comments:
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Jen said...

$58.50...why did you buy so many of one item,...just curious.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger abebech said...

37.50

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

I don't know whether or not you were able to double coupons or if you have to pay tax on food, but I know that there are some really good deals to be had if you use those coupons right....$27.45

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Guenivere said...

My guess is $17.62 and I am guessing that amount because I bought many of these same items this week at our grocery store with some awsome coupons. I can't wait to hear how much you spent.

Have a great day,
Jen O.

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing $18.23 because there were some great coupons here in my area for some of those items.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Mississippi Songbird said...

I came up with $59.50..lol
I'd love to get that stuff for that or less. Show me please..

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Sally said...

$14

Looks like you've been Kroger shopping!!!

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Tiffany said...

$22.50- I loved shopping this week. However, I made the cashier mad today because it was not adding up right. I stood there and recounted everything. But, $5 is $5, right?!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I have NO IDEA! But I will guess, $46.64 -- Hugs!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

$16. There were great coupons for those things!

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

12.57

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Im going to guess around 24 dollars.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Beth said...

My guess is $13.27

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger the voice of melody said...

That's a lot of items so I'll guess $40.00. Good for you if you got all this for less! :)

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm going to guess $14.37. I love to get good deals. My best this week. $60 worth of Duracell rechargeables for $8.00! (CVS+Extra Care Bucks= Good Deals!)

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Leah Wentzel said...

I am going to go with $26.41

I use coupons too so I am "claiming" this is an educated guess :)

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger threesidesofcrazy said...

I live no where near you so I'm guessing based on my local sales and available coupons at $48.90.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Cris said...

I am sure you got a very good deal, but I won't be making any guesses, because the cards I won with your Christmas giveaway have just arrived!!! woo hoo!!! And I assure, they are really cute, anyone who gets them will be so pleased!!! Good luck everyone!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Presto3 said...

Haha. I got many of the same items over the last couple weeks, and I know what store. I was lucky that the one by my house was well stocked. I bought a ton of Land O' Lakes butter for baking, too, at 50 cents a pound. I'm hoping you're taking advantage of the CVS Duracell sale this week. I could probably figure your savings, since I shop the same chain store, but I am too lazy to look everything up. I know the SuperPretzels were 50 cents, the dial soap was free. I hope the toothbrushes were free, because there's no reason to buy toothbrushes if you coupon. I got free Hefty One Zip bags, too. I don't remember how much the Viva were; I bought them the weekend of the 8th. Suave deoderant was probably free. I think the Quaker oats were free too; I only bought 1 of those, b/c we don't use oats that much.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I have absolutely no idea, but I'll guess $12. You probably got everything for less than that though!
Toni

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Amy said...

I'm gonna have to say $36.25.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

I'm going to go with $17.95

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Do you do the CVS shopping? I read a few other bloggers who buy in multiple quantities like that and get store coupons, manufacture coupons, sale items etc and always end up with free items, or cash back on their next shopping trip.

You can use more than one manufacturer's coupon on the same item? I always thought it was one coupon per item, but I know you can combine store and manfactured coupons, I just didn't realize you could use the same coupon on one item.

I'm not good at guessing things like this, but I'll throw out 23.75.

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess is $19.40..! Great coupons for those things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

2008 Christmas Giveaway at 5 Minutes for Mom
A special birthday celebration
FREE Snapfish photo book
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Southern grits)
WFMW (gently removing temporary tattoos)
A prayer answered today!
Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style- 3rd Edition
Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style- My Recipes
Upcoming Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style & a giveaway!
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: