Thursday, January 03, 2008
Adoption #2- Overdue Update on Baby Bug
It's well beyond time for me to give you an update on Baby Bug. Yes, we still have her. Yesterday it was the 5 week mark since she was dropped off at our house in the wee hours of the morning. Today she is 8 weeks old.

Baby Bug is doing great! As of 27 December, she weighs 9 lbs. I'm not sure how long she is but it's apparent that she's growing and filling out. She's finally outgrowing some of her newborn sleepers (she's still in 0-3 months) and we've been able to move her from newborn diapers to Size 1 diapers. She's filling out nicely.

Baby Bug is a fairly happy baby. She'll fuss or cry when she's hungry and now that she's awake for longer periods of time, she lets us know when she's bored and wants us to talk to her. She's quick to smile when she hears our voices and when we interact with her. She's even started to coo and attempt to "talk" to us. Snuggle Bug loves to sit in front of her and say, "Smile, baby!"

Speaking of Snuggle Bug, he continues to be amazing with Baby Bug. He likes to help care for her, to read her books, he tries to comfort her when she's crying, and he's protective of her around others. Still no signs of jealousy.

We thought we were doing a good job of helping Snuggle Bug to understand that Baby Bug has her own parents, that she visits twice a week, and that we are just caring for her for a while. Yesterday he surprised me by calling her, "my baby sister". We've never referred to her as that with him, but strangers automatically assume this and use that phrase so I guess he picked it up that way. I must admit hearing him call her that alarmed me a bit. How will he cope if/when she returns to her parents?

Speaking of returning to her parents, by all appearances thus far, reunification is just a matter of time and it may happen sooner rather than later.

Baby Bug's father has a court appearance next Wednesday and the CPS worker told me today that they're going to push for in-home services, where Baby Bug would be returned to her parents and CPS would provide services for her each week. I'm not clear if "they" means Baby Bug's father and his lawyer or if that means CPS as well, but the CPS worker is giving me the impression that they will support this arrangement. CPS is very pleased with how well both of Baby Bug's parents have followed the mandates of CPS and the state these past 5 weeks. They've done everything asked of them.

I'll be honest, the thought of Baby Bug being returned to her parents as early as next week made my stomach clench in fear. Has it been long enough for her parents to prove that they have gotten their lives together enough to take care of her properly and to keep her safe?

Last night I was discussing this with Oronzo and I started crying as I held Baby Bug. It's impossible not to get attached and it's very clear to me that I'm attached to this baby. I will miss her dearly when she is gone!

I'm sad that we won't be able to adopt her. Still, Oronzo is right when he reminded me that if her parents can take care of her, it's a good thing that they're getting her back. And, if that's the case, it's better that her return happens now, rather than 6-9 months from now, when letting her go would be even harder.

It's not a done deal yet. Baby Bug's dad (and lawyer) will have to convince a judge that they are stable enough to get her back. You can bet I'll be at the hearing next Wednesday to find out the results, first hand.

If/when Baby Bug is returned to her parents, I will be praying that they shower her with the love and attention that she deserves. I just want this baby to be loved and well taken care of.

Any prayers that you can offer up for the well-being of Baby Bug would be much appreciated.

I'll let you know what is decided next week.

Labels: , , , ,

5:14 AM
20 comments


20 Comments:
At 5:18 AM, Blogger With His Grace said...

Ow,

Not only are we going to pray for Baby Bug but we are also praying for you, Oronzo and of course Snuggle Bug. We will interceed for all of yours behalf.

May God continue to place his mighty hand over this situation!

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Perri said...

You will all be in my prayers = I know how hard and heartbreaking it is to watch a little one go home.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger GLouise said...

Thinking of you, and praying for all involved! Baby Bug most of all!

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Thanks for the update. I was beginning to worry about you! Sounds like the little one is doing well. Keeping you and this situation in my prayers.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Monkey Giggles said...

My heart breaks for everyone! I have walked in your shoes before (or a similar pair). The emotions are almost unbearable. I will remember you and everyone involved in my prayers.

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad everyone is doing well and had a happy holiday. What memories you will have of Christmas 2007 with that special baby in your home!

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so enjoy reading about your experiences with adoption and foster care. Honestly I don't know how you do it. Situations like this must be so heartbreaking.

But I thank God for people like you and your family that continue to go through heartbreak to do what you can to help God's most vulnerable.

Blessings,

Trixie

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

I think it is so wonderful of you to take care of this baby. While it would be so wonderful if you could keep her, and it is natural to become attached to her and love her.

thank you for being a foster parent, I'm sure there is more need for loving foster parents also.

Blessings.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Queen of Arbitrary Randomness said...

I so enjoy reading your updates. Your words alone "ooze" with love.

All of you are in my prayers. God is working!

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Christi S said...

I'm certainly praying for your family and for the health and safety of Baby Bug. I am planning on posting a Pay It Forward book exchange later this evening; where shall I link that up? We've missed you!

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has to be hard to know that the baby may be returning to her parents ... hugs. You are doing a very good thing for that entire family.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

Wow, that does seem soon. We will be praying to be sure. I know some friends who had a baby for a year and she ended up with family (not her parents). They have three other adopted children and two birth children.

I will be praying and stay close to God during this season of your life.

Hugs!

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Renee said...

Just stopping by to wish you all a Happy New Year. I'll definitely be keeping Baby Bug and all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for your update, I have been praying for you and baby bug.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Alison said...

My thoughts and prayers go to you and the sweet baby. It takes a special person to be a foster parent. I didn't think I could do it so we did private adoptions with both of our children. You are doing a wonderful thing, kudos to you!

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, OW - I had no clue that this was going on! I am sorry I have been so remiss.

In my absence I have been praying for you - just didn't know what to be praying for!

I will continue to be praying - fervently!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Offering up prayers all around!

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot even imagine how hard this would be. Because you want to do the right thing, but you have also clearly grown to love her.

Emily

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger bp said...

I'm saying a prayer for you and your family today.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Of course you're attached to Baby Bug and the thought of returning her to her parents has to be so sad, OW. But if this wakeup call was shocking enough to make them realize they had to get their lives in order, then it's all for a good reason.

I so admire you and Oronzo for what you've done for Baby Bug. You're both very strong.

You're all in my prayers, and I'm praying specifically for Baby Bug, that her parents turn their lives around and really realize what a blessed miracle this baby is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Yes I'm Still Alive- Happy New Year!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Dinner Roll Wreath)
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Quick & Easy Meals Ed...
PIF: 9 FREE BOOKS still up for grabs!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Favorite Ingredients Friday
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
December Pay It Forward Book Exchange- 11 books up...
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Favorite Ingredients Friday- Casserole Edition
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: