Tuesday, July 08, 2008
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Today there was a dependency review for the parents of our youngest foster daughter, Baby Bug. The outcome was what everyone expected.

CPS, the state rep, and all the lawyers were finally on the same page, advocating to the judge that Baby Bug be returned home to her parents. This is the first time that Baby Bug's lawyer has been on board with this plan, so Oronzo and I suspected that her buy-in would influence the judge to grant CPS the discretion to begin a transition plan to get her home.

That's exactly what happened. The judge is willing to allow the transition to begin to get her home. CPS has set a target return date of Friday, 15 August. It's being left up to us and Baby Bug's parents to decide on how that return will happen. I'm advocating for us to be allowed to deliver Baby Bug and all of her possessions to her parent's home, bringing Snuggle Bug with us so that we can see her happy in her home with her parents and have a sense of closure. I think that's important for all of us.

So, I did pretty good throughout the court hearing. When the judge asked for my input, I spoke clearly of my support for the decision to reunify Baby Bug with her parents. They've worked hard these past 7 1/2 months, still remaining 100% compliant with every aspect of their case plan, and although we'll miss Baby Bug dearly we agree that she belongs back home with her parents.

After court, when I was asked to stay behind and speak with Baby Bug's parents and the CPS worker to arrange the beginning of overnight visits, I must admit that I broke down and cried. The emotions were just too intense to hold in.

I felt bad that I cried on what was a very happy occasion for Baby Bug's parents and I assured them that I was truly happy for their good news. But the thought of saying a final "goodbye" to this precious baby girl left me feeling overwhelmingly sad as well.

Baby Bug's mom actually started tearing up too and her dad was quick to assure me that it wouldn't be a final goodbye because they wanted to keep in contact with us. I half teasingly told her parents that Oronzo and I want to be considered an honorary aunt and uncle to Baby Bug and they told me that'd be great because what little family they do have in town they're not on the best of terms with.

So, we've got her with us (part time) until 15 August. ((sigh)) I pray the good Lord gives me the strength to survive these final days with her and beyond.

This certainly has been an emotional couple of weeks in our world of foster care.

Labels: , , , ,

3:04 PM
17 comments


17 Comments:
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

I don't have the words to express how much I admire what you've done - loved this child with all your heart, and still working towards reunification so diligently.

Thank you for doing what you do. You and your husband make a difference.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Forgetfulone said...

I'm so glad for the update. I've been trying to keep up with your blog, and bloglines is helping me. But, I want you to know I'm thinking of you, and God will provide whatever strength you need.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Shauna said...

God bless you for faithfully serving this family and opening your home and your heart to Baby Bug.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

May God protect your heart through all this, sweet friend :)

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Sally said...

bittersweet is a good way to describe it. great news that her parents are making some changes, but i'm so sad for your family. How wonderful that you can stay in touch!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

That is bittersweet news! For you to give your consent to going forward with the transition then you know she's going back to parents who really want to make this work; otherwise I know you would voice your objections. I'm so glad we were able to visit last week and see Baby Bug - you can just tell how well adjusted she is with your family; you guys have done a wonderful job of giving her a stable, loving environment. I'm glad her parents are continuing a relationship with your family!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Just Lisa said...

I know that we always want children to be reunited with their parents whenever possible, but I also know how hard it must be for your entire family to lose Baby Bug. I hope everything works out for the best, for everyone involved. My thoughts are with you!

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Chelley said...

I want you to know I'm thinking of you...

know that we always want children to be reunited with their parents whenever possible but it doesnt help the heart ffrom braking

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

I know this has been a long hard road for you guys because of this inevitable end, but i'm so encouraged to hear that Boo's parents want you guys to still be a part of her life. I think that is SO important for her!

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Kellie with an "ie" said...

I completely agree with cheri. What a wonderful gift you've given this little girl. I'll be thinking of you during the next few weeks hoping that the transition isn't too painful for y'all.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

I'm sure there is a lot of emotion with everyone in this situation. Bless you and Baby Bug's family too.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Praying for you, my friend.

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

You're in my thoughts and prayers!!

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

That's an emotional roller coaster, for sure. I'm praying it all goes as smoothly as it can, and for everyone's hearts to heal.

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ow,

You are truley a hero to the CPS world, I know you don't think so. But you advocate and are so honest about everything, that you are making a ripple in a huge pond.

I pray that the transition would be a good one, and I agree I think it would be good for all to see her in her new home, especially snuggle bug.

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hugs, this must totally be hard on all of you. at some point your impact on this babies life will be enough to heal your heart, it will take time though. hugs!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

(((hugs)))

May God bless you for so faithfully stepping out in obedience and loving sweet Baby Bug for as long as He gives her to you.

I am so thankful you will be able to see her in the future, too.

Also, you're beautiful at 40!

~Stacy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

I got a new Singer Confidence sewing machine!
Happy Belated 4th of July
Favorite Ingredients Friday (4th of July Edition II)
We're hanging in there.
My heart is breaking.
I'm having fun with this!
June Pay It Forward Winners!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Sweet Potato Bars)
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
WFMW- FREE Thomas the Train products!
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: