Wednesday, May 31, 2006
It wasn't supposed to work this way! (Part 8)
I left off in Part 7 with us waiting to hear if Giselle would sign the termination paperwork.

After spending about 2 1/2 hours at our friend's house, we decided to stop at a shopping mall. Oronzo said he wanted to get some matted picture frames, but we both knew we were desperately trying to distract ourselves as we waited to hear the news.

When we got to the shopping complex, Oronzo went to his store and I took Snuggle Bug into a nearby Hallmark store to browse through their 50% off Christmas ornaments sale. That's when I received the call on my cell phone. I had Snuggle Bug in my arms and couldn't pull out my cell phone in time, so I missed the call!

I fumbled with my cell phone and, with shaking hands, retrieved the voicemail message that I saw was from our lawyer. The message he left said, "Hey, OW, it's your lawyer. Giselle's lawyer just called and everything is signed! I'll call you tomorrow. Bye!" The time stamp on the voicemail message was 5:18 p.m. That time remains etched in my mind, and for the longest time, the voicemail message remained on my cell phone and I replayed it more than once.

Afraid to believe what I had heard, I immediately rushed to call our lawyer back to confirm that what he had said was true. I caught him as he was on his way out the door. He confirmed that yes, she had indeed signed, and Giselle's lawyer had told him that she was in pretty good spirits.

I stood outside of Hallmark, holding Snuggle Bug close, and tried to wrap my mind around what I had just heard. She signed! She didn't change her mind, despite the not-so-subtle pressure from her mom. She signed! That meant that we got to keep Snuggle Bug, this precious child, and proceed with our Petition to Adopt! Tears started streaming down my face as the pent up anxiety started to slowly melt.

I quickly called Oronzo's cell phone and shared the news! He was on his way back to pick us up and joined us a couple of minutes after my call. He leaned over and gave Snuggle Bug a sweet kiss murmuring against his soft head, "My son."

We were both overjoyed and extremely relieved. We both felt that things would be downhill from that point on. All that was left was to Petition to Adopt and then have a court date set to finalize the adoption. We left the Hallmark store and went into a children's toy store nearby and browsed. I felt like I was in a daze.

The first person I called to share the news with was my older sister (to be referred to as Tia). If you remember, Tia was the one that called me minutes after Snuggle Bug had been born, heard him cry, and started crying herself. Tia burst into tears of relief when I told her the termination paperwork had been signed. I realized then that the wait had been almost as hard on our families as it had been on us.

Oronzo's first call was to his mother. One-by-one, we placed phone calls to other members of our families, returning all the calls we had ignored, up until that point. It felt so good to be able to tell our family that Snuggle Bug was staying and becoming a part of our family.

I did think of Giselle and Quinn during this time, knowing they'd be grieving for their loss of Snuggle Bug. It dawned on me that there was a sense of guilt on my part, mingled in with the joy. With the signing of the paperwork, it hit home again that our joy and happiness came at the expense of someone else's pain and sorrow. I vowed to do my very best to give Snuggle Bug all the love, guidance, and support that I could to make his birth family's sacrifice meaningful. I also vowed that he would have truthful answers to his questions as he grew older, that he would know as much as I did about his birth parents. They would always be a part of him and I would never deny that connection.

Okay, that's all for now. Believe it or not, there's more to this story (a phone conversation between Giselle and me and much more), so stay tuned for Part 9.

To continue reading about our first adoption journey, see Part 9.

Labels: , ,

8:10 AM
19 comments


19 Comments:
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Heather Smith said...

This is such a beautiful story! I'm so glad you have your Snuggle Bug!

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My adoptive parents felt the same way. They had to wait 30 days for the termination of our rights (state law), though I was never a question my ex was....they were terrified.

They came to court with us the day we terminated rights (we had to ask special permission from the judge) and it was the most emotional time for all of us. I looked into their eyes as I spoke and terminated my rights, it was powerful. So powerful. When it was over and the judge had terminated our rights, the adoptive mom burst into tears, gathered me into her arms and couldnt stop thanking me.

I cant wait to read more of your story. You are a tease!!! hehe!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger kpjara said...

OOH..the segments are getting shorter but so much more poignant!

I started crying at the words: "My son." and it just built all the way to the last word!

It stills my soul to read this story...truly as hoaky as that sounds, it is water to me!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger momteacherfriend said...

Yeah...good stuff. I was tearing at the announcement that she signed but I was a puddle when Orville spoke "My son." So tender and sweet.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo the words "My son", I called my husband to tell him and he even said awww!

You have such a beautiful story for your beautiful family and how it came to be so.

I am looking forward to the rest of the story!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I had goosebumps reading the part when you got the phone call in Hallmark! I can only begin to imagine the range of emotions you must have felt when the call came through saying she signed! I would have cried with all that weight being lifted. What an emotional journey this truely is.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger abebech said...

I'm crying again, and still, as well. Though our paths are so different, I feel so much of what you've written. It makes it all the harder for me to wait to have our little blossom in our arms!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Yes, very emotional. Waiting for the rest!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Free In Christ said...

I love to hear this story. Having been through the adoption process with my sister and her husband. It brought tears to my eyes when I read today. What an awesome experience. Keep writing.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

How very special! I have some special friends who live in California who adopted a little boy some 20 plus years ago. He has been pure joy for them. I pray for a wonderful future for all of you!...God Bless you all!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Your story has been great! I enjoy reading it. I too remember the call saying the papers were signed.

Such a whirlwind of emotions, isn't it?!?

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I have been enjoying perusing through your posts and the last couple posts about your adoption story too, which are so moving and heartfelt. Thank you for sharing your story. I will be back, because I cannot wait to read more!

Amber

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again. Warnings about tear inducing posts should be posted at the beginning of said post. ;)

Lovely, dear.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger pithydithy said...

Just back from Germany and catching up on your blog-- and, look, you've got me crying again already! Thanks, once more, for sharing your story. It's incredibly moving and, as one who is looking forward to all of this, incredibly helpful, too.

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very emotional post. Cannot wait to read more.

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I remember the Guilt mixed with Joy. It was a feeling I had never felt before and so hard to explain or even understand as I felt it.
All of these posts have been a beautiful account of Snuggle Bug's birth and your journey, looking forward to part 9

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Catch said...

I cant believe I missed this post yesterday!!! I checked your blog today and found it!!!

I can imagine how relieved you were that Snuggle Bug would be a permanent part of your family. I am so glad for you and your husband..I know Snuggle Bug is very much loved...and who could ask for more?

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger meliss said...

I'm an emotional wreck reading this. Wow! What torture and elation all at once!

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got tears in my eyes! Even though I knew the adoption went through I was anxiously reading to get to this point. The joy you felt when getting that call is palpable. YAY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Five Ingredients Friday Launch (Quick Cheddar Chee...
Up, peaz!
Colored Chalk
3 objectives to this post.
It wasn't supposed to work this way! (Part 7)
I've been tagged!
I'm back!
It wasn't supposed to work this way! (Part 6)
Happy 3 Year Anniversary to us!
Treasure Tuesday 3
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: