Friday, May 26, 2006
Five Ingredients Friday Launch (Quick Cheddar Cheese Biscuits)
Okay, I'm going to start something that I think may be new here in Blogland, something called Five Ingredients Friday. I hope you'll hop on the bandwagon with me.
I love trying new recipes and I'm always looking for good ones that are quick, easy, and delicious! Here's how I'd like it to work. Every Friday, post a recipe that involves only 5 ingredients or less. It can be a main dish, an appetizer, a side dish, a dessert, a beverage...I really don't care...but it must only have 5 ingredients or less. The idea is that it's a quick, delicious recipe to enjoy with your family and friends. You can pull these recipes out of your personal recipe collection, a cookbook, on-line, or from any other creative means that you can come up with.
Once you've posted your 5 ingredient recipe, add your blog link to my post so that others can take a look at yours. If you actually prepare one of the recipes you've found on a Five Ingredients Friday post, go back to that blog where the recipe originated from and leave a comment critiquing how the recipe turned out for you.
Oh, and feel free to use the image that I've created for your Five Ingredients Friday post, I don't mind! Questions, let me know!
Having now established the guidelines, I'll submit my first recipe. This one is dedicated to the cravings of this expectant mother. She felt compelled to stop at Red Lobster for their Cheddar Bay Biscuits. Why pay Red Lobster prices when you can make them at home? Enjoy!
Quick Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
(Makes 8 biscuits.)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 TBSP chilled butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine flour & baking powder in a medium bowl (optional addition, 1/2 tsp salt).
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives until coarse crumbs form.
- Using a fork, stir milk into flour mixture until a soft dough forms. Do not overmix or overwork dough.
- Stir in shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Drop dough in heaping tablespoons, 1 inch apart, onto ungreased baking sheet (I use a Silpat mat, they're awesome).
- Bake until biscuits are firm to the touch, about 15 minutes.
- Try basting the biscuits with melted butter and Hidden Valley Ranch powder.
- Freeze these biscuits to have for mini egg sandwiches. Defrost biscuits; reheat for 10 minutes. Fill with scrambled eggs, bacon, and Cheddar.
- Complement a spaghetti dinner: use Parmesan cheese instead of Cheddar and add 1/2 tsp dried basil in Step 1 of directions.
And so, Five Ingredients Friday has been officially launched! Please participate because I need some new recipe ideas. Thanks!