Sunday, October 19, 2008
Results from my first craft fair.
Yesterday I mentioned that I was taking my show on the road!  I thought I'd follow up and share the results of my first craft fair.  It only cost me $25 to attend the fair as a vendor, so I figured I didn't have much to loose if it didn't go well.

So, Friday I went shopping and purchased a few things.  I went to Party City and purchased pink, green, and white plastic table clothes and some balloons, to match my business colors.  

I printed out order forms and raffle tickets for a giveaway, as well as printing details from my website, since I wouldn't have access to the internet.

Friday night I stayed up late fleshing out my stock of hair bows and clips.  I had 4 tutus (two of them were sets) already made up and planned to use those as displays only.

I arrived about 30 minutes before the fair started and got everything set up.  Thank goodness I had some friends at this festival because I had so much stuff that it was hard to carry!

It didn't take me long to get set up but the first hour was really slow.  There were a lot of families present but at first there was not much traffic in the "market" area where we were all set up.   It picked up after that first hour.

There were probably 15-20 tables of people selling things, but I was the only one selling hair accessories and tutus (candles and jewelry tables seemed abound). 

I had my tutus prominently displayed on a hanging rack and eventually it was the tutus that drew little girls to my table.  

People expressed an interest in my hair bows and clips, telling me they were cute and reasonably priced, but there weren't a lot of orders in that area.

I got far more interest in the tutus.  Lots of people (parents and little girls alike) loved them!   Still, I only got 2 orders, but the orders were for tutu sets at $50 a piece, so that wasn't too bad.

I really wasn't worried about the fact that I didn't get a ton or orders because my main goal with attending that fair was to get my business name out there and talk to people.  I handed out quite a few business cards and encouraged people to go to my website to see a broader selection of my products.

Before I left, the school rep that coordinated the vendor booths approached me and asked if I'd mind her creating a flyer to advertise my business within their school!  She said she loved my products and would be happy to promote my business there.  I was pleasantly surprised at that offer.

So, although I didn't get a ton of sales yesterday, I had fun talking with people.  I got some exposure at the festival and may have even more exposure in the coming months if my business is advertised within this charter school!   

Have any of you attended a craft fair as a vendor?  How'd it go for you?

Labels:

6:00 AM
11 comments


11 Comments:
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Im glad you had fun doing it.
Sometimes it can be very discouraging doing these things, but at least, for a small fee, you got your business out there, and people will think of you when they need these products.
And you made your money back, so that is a good thing too.
Hope you have a great weekend.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger threesidesofcrazy said...

Sounds like it will pay off in the school PR alone! Congratulations, you're on you're way!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Just the exposure is worth a fortune, OW. I imagine quite a few people are going to look at your web site and you may be surprised, the orders you get on line, just from the displays you sat up at the fair.

I'm not surprised the big interest is in the tutus - they're adorable.

No, I haven't participated in a craft fair yet but I suspect I will be this coming year. I plan to go armed with a ton of business cards!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am planning on doing my first craft fair in November. Can you offer me any suggestions on set up, just anything that could help. Thanks, Michelle B.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Toia said...

I am glad you had fun. Will you be doing anymore craft fairs?

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Amy said...

That's great! I'm glad that it was a success and I'm sure you'll be getting more orders soon once the holidays start coming around.

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds great! I am glad it was a success you products are really cute.
BTW canceling Gavin's trip made a differece. His teacher agreed that the rest of his week went a lot better, I am trying to incorporate more cause and effect, whether good or bad into our discipline.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Just Lisa said...

It sounds like your frist effort was a success!

Just a suggestion, but maybe you could have a few tutus ready to buy right then? I've been to craft fairs and purchased hair ribbons and tutus for my daughter, but I would never order one. I'm all about instant gratification!

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! The company I work with is doing publicity for a BIG Craft Market in a few weeks. I'm reeeally excited to go! Eventually, one day, I would like to go to a craft fair as an exhibitor with my earrings and knitting.

Sounds like you had a good time -- directing people to your website was a smart idea!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

That sounds great! I'm sure you're very much in the learning part of your business and this sounds like a learning experience.

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so great that they want you to make fliers for the school!

I'm sure that little girls were drawn to your table, and their mommas may have had to take them home hearing about how they didn't get one and think of you!

I haven't done one as a vender, but I have gone with my wallet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Taking my show on the road...
Favorite Ingredients Friday (bat cupcakes)
Need to Knead Bread Recipe Round Up Day!
Pigtails and Snails quilt giveaway!
Sparkle and Charm Boutique hair bow winner!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Sauce Edition II)
WFMW (FREE hair bow)
It's been a long time coming!
Check back tomorrow for an announcement & a giveaway!
September Pay It Forward Book Exchange winners!
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: