Thursday, June 29, 2006
Blog of the Week 6
It's time again to highlight a fellow blogger. The first time I "met" her was on an adoption newsboard. Then, I discovered she had a blog as well it didn't take me long to get hooked, in large part due to her blunt honesty. She's a fellow adoptive mom who hasn't had an easy journey to motherhood. After two failed matches and dealings with an unethical agency, she was finally matched with her son's birth parents independently. After getting over a few nail-biting hurdles, she's now due to finalize her son's adoption within the next couple of months and I couldn't be happier for her and her husband!

Without any further ado, my chosen Blog of the Week is Away To Me. I do hope you'll take the time to read her responses to my questions, and then go check out her blog today to see beautiful pictures of her precious son. Please leave her a comment, letting her know you've stopped by and that OW sent you! Thanks!

BOTW Q&A

Q: What inspired you to start blogging?

A: I started blogging because I was frustrated with our adoption wait and because I wanted to let other hopeful adoptive couples know that the feelings they were going through while waiting for their child were normal. I also wanted to be able to go back and read what my emotions were at different times of our journey. Getting advice from other bloggers turned out to be the reason I stayed blogging. I love comments because they truly make you feel like you are not alone and that as a community we can all help each other.

Q: What's the meaning behind your blog name?

A: Away To Me. Is a command given to a dog when competing in sheep herding (the sport I do). It tells the dog to go in a counter clockwise direction. I felt like our journey to becoming parents was kind of counter clockwise to most people.

Q: What are some of the major themes of your blog?

A: Mostly my blog is about our adoption journey. Now that we have our son it is about his adoption journey and the procedures we have to go through to finalize his adoption. I'm sure the nature of the blog will change as our lives change. This is my second blog. My first blog I had to take down because of our unethical adoption agency. I complained about them (not using their name) but using my own first name. Someone told them about my blog and then they started reading it and basically black-balled us. On January 1, 2006 I switched to my new blog location, went password protected and tried to regroup. I ended up taking off the password protection because I got sick of hiding from the agency and because they were not working in our best interest any way. I was going crazy trying to determine who was friend and who was foe when giving out the blog's password. I just gave up and thought who cares if that stupid adoption agency reads this.

Q: Do you have any "Real Life People" reading your blog?

A: I have one real life friend who reads my blog. I trust him with all my heart and because he and his wife have moved out of state he keeps up with our lives through our blog. I don't really need any other real life people to read my blog, they know what is going on in my life.

Q: What else would you like your readers to know about you, that they may not already?

A: I'm a terrible speller and without spell check I wouldn't blog. I'm a comment whore, the more comments the better because I like to hear what people are getting from my blog and I love the good advice I've received because of my blog!

I can't always blog about what I want until this adoption is finalized but once it is finalized I intend on singing like a canary. We should be finalized in 60 days or less.

4:15 AM
8 comments


8 Comments:
At 7:17 AM, Blogger pithydithy said...

This is a great find! Yet again you've alerted me to a blog that I didn't know about and I've rushed right off to add her to my RSS feed. Thanks!

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a powerful journal she has. I was in tears reading through it all. Great find!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger macboudica said...

Thanks for your comment and suppport on my blog.

This is a great post and a good idea!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Karla said...

That sounds like a great post. Unbelievable, some of the crooked agencies out there. =(

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I've been over to her blog a few times before (mostly through your FIF posts I think) and it is a wonderful blog. I can't believe what they've had to go through with that crooked agency...how horrible! Great BOTW!

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for featuring my blog as your BOTW. I've recieved some very nice comments from readers who found me through you. Keep up the good blogging yourself.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, awesome that she shares it all, it really helps to read other people's experiences. Great Pick!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger TOW Blog said...

also an adoptive parent, it's nice to swim these difficult waters with other dedicated and pioneering souls that will ensure a better world for our children!

cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Coping with the death of my beloved uncle.
My first try at embedded video clips.
Sending a scheduled update to Giselle.
Five Ingredients Friday (Muddled Lemonberryade)
Adoption #2 thoughts swirling in my noggin!
"Special Needs" Child
It wasn't supposed to work this way! (Part 10- Ado...
World's Greatest Daddy, hands down!
My recent projects.
Five Ingredients Friday (Beefy Pasta Skillet)
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: