Friday, November 07, 2008
Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style- My Recipes

I have two family favorite recipes to share for my 3rd annual Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style recipe exchange! I hope you enjoy them!

Note: I'm also linking this post up in Linda's Fall Into Flavor recipe exchange!

The first one is a pie recipe. I love, love, love pie! I know pumpkin pie is a more traditional holiday treat, but I'm a sucker for apple pie. This recipe has been passed down in my family for many years and it's delicious!


Sour Cream Apple Pie

Ingredients

Sift:

2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cups sugar

Add: 

1 egg
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients and beat until smooth.   Line a 9" pie plate with pie crust (Pillsbury makes a good pre-made pie crust).  Fill with freshly sliced apples (8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored, and sliced).  Pour wet batter over the apples.  Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minute.

Remove from oven and add this topping.

Topping ingredients mixed together:

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes.  Serve with ice cream or whipped cream on top!  Yum!

My next recipe is actually a great gift idea.  You mix all the dry ingredients in decorative containers, attach a gift card with instructions on how to serve and give it as a holiday gift.  I've done this in the past and have gotten lots of excitement over it!


Fireside Coffee

Ingredients

2 cups non-dairy coffee creamer
1 1/2 cups hot cocoa mix
1 1/2 cups instant coffee granules
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions

Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Store mixture in an airtight container. Yield: 6 1/2 cups mix.

Note for gift card that you'd attach to the container:

To make 1 cup, spoon 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of coffee mix in a cup. Add 1 cup boiling water; stir until well blended.  Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and your favorite holiday cookies!

Labels: , ,

5:00 AM
13 comments


13 Comments:
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Omigosh, that pie and that coffee look so yummy! I prefer apple pie to pumpkin pie so you chose well. lol That Fireside Coffee also sounds delicious, I must give it a try. xoxo

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Jenny86753oh9 said...

The fireside coffee sounds wonderful. I'll definitely try that this season.

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delicious sounding recipes. I love apple pie the best.

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Tiffany said...

Both of these recipes sound amazing! I will have to try both of them this year. My husband makes a similar recipe: Sour Cream Peach Pie. The ingredients are a little different, but it is one of my favorites! Plus, my husband makes it! You can't beat that! :)

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

What a perfect combination. I like you, love pie...much better than cake. Love and Hugs!

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OW, these recipes both sound SOOOOO good! I think I'm going to make the sour cream apple pie this weekend. It sounds delicious! And I am going to have to try your coffee mix. I'm' also planning on making russian tea mix this winter too!

Blessings,
Lori4squaremom

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I prefer apple pie over pumpkin pie and this sounds so yummy and easy to make! Thanks!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Betsy said...

Both recipes sound wonderful!

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger threesidesofcrazy said...

This pie sounds sooooooooooo amazing!! Thanks for hosting this great recipe round up for the holidays.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It all sounds good to me!!
This is fun! I've never participated in anything like this before!!

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Sour Cream Apple Pie recipe looks lucious. Will definitely give your recipe a try.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Terri Steffes said...

I did! Scroll down a bit... if I could figure out how to put it at the top I would... do you know the secret??

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been so busy with arranging my trip to America that I forgot about all the fun you are having here. If I ever get a moment to sit down and think about something other than flights, I will post a yummy recipe at my craft site...just for you.

Have A Happy Day!
Deborah @ A Cup Of Joy
acupofjoy.wordpress.com

@ Comfort Joy Designs
comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Upcoming Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style & a giveaway!
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Bloggy Giveaway Carnival- winner of SIX free hair ...
Bloggy Giveaway Carnival- SIX free hair clips!
Parole granted.
Results from my first craft fair.
Taking my show on the road...
Favorite Ingredients Friday (bat cupcakes)
Need to Knead Bread Recipe Round Up Day!
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: