Saturday, August 02, 2008
My first sewing class.
Remember how I told you that I got a new Singer Confidence sewing machine for my birthday?  Well, up until today, I haven't had the time to even open it up and turn it on.  And to be honest, I was feeling a bit intimidated by it.  I've never used a sewing machine before.  All the sewing I do is by hand.  

I purchased my sewing machine at JoAnn's and one of the selling points that persuaded me to buy it there instead of finding it somewhere cheaper is that JoAnn's offers two 2-hour sewing classes FREE if you purchase your machine through them.  These sewing classes specifically teach you how to use all of the features of your machine.

I was a bit dismayed, after purchasing my sewing machine, to learn that the Saturday classes were full through November!  The sales person who sold me my machine offered to put me on a waiting list and the first chance I had to get into a class, if there were cancelations, was this Saturday.  As I watched her pencil in my name on the August calendar, I noticed that there were about 5 other people on the list ahead of me.

I dutifully called a couple of days ago to see if there had been any cancelations.  There hadn't so I decided to take the matter into my own hands.  This afternoon I packed up my sewing machine and showed up at JoAnn's 15 minutes before the class started.  I was the first one there.  

There were supposed to be four women in this class.  Three showed up, one did not.  Since no one else on the waiting list was as bold as I was, I got in the class!  I was so excited!

Today I learned how to thread my needle, fill my bobbin and load it.  I learned how to use several stitches.  I even learned how to make button holes!  With this machine it's quite easy, one step button holes, can you believe it?  I learned several other things as well.

I didn't make anything, we practiced on squares of different kinds of fabric, but I certainly did have fun!

I exchanged names and phone numbers with two of the ladies in my class.  They already know how to sew but needed to learn how to use the $500 Brother sewing machines that they had purchased.   We're going to try to get together for a stitching night in the near future, after we complete our second class next Saturday afternoon.

I stopped after class and browsed through the patterns that JoAnn's offers.  There are so many neat things out there to sew!  I don't even know where to begin.  

Any suggestions for a very simple sewing project for someone that's new to using a sewing machine?

I think I'm going to try out Barb's burp cloth tutorial.  It looks like something I might be able to handle. 

I also hope to find a simple 2-piece pajama pattern.  I'd love to make myself some flannel pajamas for winter.

Oh the possibilities!  Why didn't I buy a sewing machine sooner?

Labels:

8:56 PM
11 comments


11 Comments:
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Just Lisa said...

When I first started sewing, I started out with simple projects--- curtains, cloth napkins, a tablecloth. I'm still pretty much a beginner, but I'm working on a quiet book for my toddler now. Good luck!

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Barb said...

If you can make buttonholes, you're one step ahead of me. LOL

I haven't had a reason to make buttonholes yet so I haven't even tried but my machine makes one step buttonholes too. I can tell you, my machine manual is never more than six inches away from my machine!

My burp cloths are a great project for you. They're not difficult at all and only involve accurate measuring and sewing straight seams. If they were difficult, I probably wouldn't make them. :-)

Good for you, for getting into that class.

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sewing machine doesn't get much use in this season of my life, but I've got a bunch of "someday" projects bookmarked anyway. Maybe you can get some use out of them - and trust me, for me to consider them, they have to be easy. (And my mom, who is an excellent seamstress, is still jealous of my machine's ability to do buttonholes. Sometimes I think she visits me because of it.

kids' art smock: http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/look/look-homemade-childrens-smock-022719

kids' dishtowel apron:
http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/randi/2007/02/dishtowel_apron.html

mommy's apron:
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=JC&Screen=APRONINST

hand puppets:
http://www.butterick.com/item/B4209.htm?search=puppet&page=1

fabric buckets:
http://vintagericrac.blogspot.com/2007/09/back-with-buckets.html

coloring bags/purses:
http://www.clotheslinequilts.com/coloring.php

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger threesidesofcrazy said...

What a smart idea taking the initiative to show up and see! Good for you!

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest napkins too. Or pillow cases. You can practice some of the stitches your machine does to do cool edges on the pillow cases. Pillows - little blankets. :)

Have fun!

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

When looking for patterns try ones that are by simplicity, see and sew. Ones like that. Does the outfit look simple and straight forward than it will probably be a simple pattern. It it has more bells and whistles it will be more complicated. Little jumper dresses are fairly easy and straight forward. Also if you go here http://sewingtheseamsoflove.com/ she sells a dress kit. You buy the material already cut out and all you do is follow her simple directions to sew it. I have bought one and several of her dresses when she was selling them.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I'm so glad you had a great time in your first sewing class! It is a lot of fun and so rewarding to look at something and think "Hey, I made that!"

For a beginner project, you might consider making a pretty fall table runner. You can use pretty fall themed fabrics and once you get the hang of it, you could make some in a Christmas theme for gifts.

Take Care,

Trixie

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Julie said...

That sounds like so much fun. I might just have to go out and buy myself a sewing maching.

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I used to sew so much more than I do now. Now I'm pretty much making curtains or mending things, but I still do enjoy sewing. I hope you love it, too.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Beth Wright (P31 OBS Team Member) said...

you'll do great. At least you are taking the classes. I have a machine too. I've made a few purses and some purse inserts. My goal is to set aside at least one day a week for sewing once school starts back up. I plan to sell stuff on esty!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Angi said...

I love that you showed up there - and got in! What initiative! I wish I sewed - but sadly I can't even hem pants!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Favorite Ingredients Friday (Appetizers & Snacks E...
Boo and her babies!
More tutus!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Whole Grain Pancakes)
WFMW- free trinket boxes
Frustration
Here's what 40 looks like.
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Healthy Edition II)
Stepping out with pediped™ footwear
WFMW- Saving on packed luggage space
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: