Friday, February 06, 2009
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Chocolate Edition)
Last year, about this time, I did a chocolate edition of my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange, in preparation for Valentine's Day ! It was a lot of fun! I had 24 bloggers post their favorite chocolate recipes. You can see those recipes right here.
So, today I'm doing it again and I hope you'll join me by sharing your favorite chocolate recipe! I'm a chocoholic and I need my fix! :)
The Chocolate Lava Cake recipe that I'm about to share comes from Chef Geir's Culinary Resources. It's one of my favorite chocolate desserts!
DARK SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE 7 ounce bar
BUTTER 8 TBSP.
VANILLA EXTRACT 1 tsp.
EGGS - separated - room temperature 3
CAKE FLOUR - sifted 1/3 cup
SALT 1/8 tsp.
CREAM OF TARTAR 1/8 tsp.
SUGAR 1/4 cup
CHOCOLATE LAVA CENTERS
DARK SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE 2 ounces
HEAVY CREAM 1.5 ounces
BUTTER 1 tsp.
1) Chop the dark semi-sweet chocolate into pieces. Place into a metal bowl, add butter. Melt over a simmering waterbath. Remove from heat.
2) Add vanilla extract and (3) egg yolks. Whisk together until chocolate mixture is smooth. see picture #2
3) Add well sifted cake flour, and gently incorporated into the above chocolate mixture.
4) Place the (3) egg whites into a clean metal bowl, add salt and cream of tartar. Using a whisk, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Continue to whisk while slowly sprinkling in the sugar.
5) Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold 1/3rd of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then fold-in another 1/3rd of the egg whites. Then fold-in the last 1/3rd of the egg whites. see picture #3
6) Deposit the batter into large "non-stick" muffin tins - fill 3/4 full. Ramekins can also be used simply butter insides and dust with cocoa powder. see picture #4
7) Push a Chocolate Lava Center into the center of each cake batter. This creates the molten lava center!
see picture #4
8) Bake at 375F degrees for 15 minutes. Do not over bake! see picture #5
9) Remove from oven, wait 5 minutes, then unmold onto a wire rack to cool.
** Serve cakes warm! If you need to reheat, simply place in a microwave for 30 seconds.
CHOCOLATE LAVA CENTERS (ganache)
1) Chop dark semi-sweet chocolate into pieces. Place into a metal bowl. Heat heavy cream, pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth. Add butter and whisk until incorporated.
2) Place mixture into the refrigerator to cool. Every few minutes whisk the mixture until a frosting like consistency is reached. If the mixture becomes firm slightly rewarm.
3) Fill a pastry bag with the ganache. Pipe-out "cherry" sized portions. Place these mounds into the freezer until ready to use.
Now I look forward to seeing your Valentine's Day chocolate edition Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe!
Don't forget to link your specific recipe post link on Mr. Linky so I can see what's cooking at your house!
Oh, and be sure to put the title of your recipe in parenthesis! It makes it so much quicker for me to go back and search for recipes as I build my weekly menu.