Saturday, April 18, 2009
Bean Bag Tutorial & other Handmade Gift ideas
I've been neglecting my blog lately, sorry!  My excuse?  The usual.  The kids, work, my sewing projects, and my Sparkle and Charm Boutique bow orders have been keeping me busy.

I took Boo and Snuggle Bug to a library story time not long ago and as part of the activities they got to pick bean bags out of a bin and play with them as they marched to music.  They LOVED the bean bag activity, almost as much as the story time reading itself!

I grabbed one of the bean bags and inspected it closely, thinking to myself, 'I wonder where I could buy some of these at?'  But wait, then I thought, 'I could make these at home!'

I thought I'd share a brief Bean Bag Tutorial with you, in case you want to make some for your kids.  If you don't have a sewing machine, I don't think it'd be hard to hand sew these together.


1) Get some scrap material, fold it in half and then trace out 4 squares to make 4 bean bags.  I made each of my squares approximately 4 1/2" x 4 1/2". As you can see, I used a Sharpie to measure out my squares (draw the lines on the "wrong side" of your material). Don't worry, you trim away the black lines.


2) Take two of the 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" squares and make sure the that "right" sides of your material are facing each other on the inside.  Sew a 3/8" straight stitch seam around three of the four sides.  The fourth side you leave open so that you can turn the bean bag material inside out and fill.


3) Trim the material off, close to the edge of the hem, as shown in the picture above.


4) Go back and sew a zig zag stitch around those three seams for reinforcement.


5) Turn the bean bag material inside out so that the "right" side of the material is now on the outside.  Fill approximately 2/3 full of rice.  You can use beans too but the rice works great!


6) Tuck in the open ends of the bean bag and secure with two stick pins to prepare for sewing.


7) Sew a final straight stitch seam as close as possible to the folded in opening of your bean bag.

Viola!  You have a bean bag!  This really takes no time at all!

I made a bunch for kids, and their favorite ones are the ones I made out of fleece scrap material because they're super soft!

For some more fun and easy homemade gift ideas, check out:


Skip to My Lou has a few great sewing projects that even I think I can handle with my basic sewing skills!

The two I'm going to try to make for the kids are these:

1) Crayon Roll: These will be perfect to keep stowed in my purse for the times that we eat out with the kids.  They love to color and not all restaurants have colors.  I know they'd love it if I made one for each of them!

2) Dolly Diapers: I could really use these right now!  Lately Boo and Snuggle Bug have been pulling Boo's diapers out and putting them on her dollies.  Usually they break the diaper tabs in the process, thus wasting the diaper.  I know they'll love these!!  I'll make them in different colors.

Well, that's all for now.  Have a great weekend!

Labels: ,

6:46 AM
3 comments


3 Comments:
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Mrs. Breum said...

neat! I looked at your links and I LOVE the crayon roll- that is SO cool. I wish I could sew!

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is EXCELLENT, owj! Bean bags are virtually universally perfect in every play activity.

Well done!

Barbara

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

Looks like an easy gift for Alexys! Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Favorite Ingredients Friday (Easter Edition)
Taking days off to be with my kids!
Saturday morning waffles
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Homemade Corn Chips)
April Pay It Forward Book Exchange- 9 books up for...
Missing bloomers
March Pay It Forward winners!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Mexican Dishes Edition)
We saw Baby Bug this past weekend.
The termination trial is at an end and we've got a...
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: