Thursday, March 19, 2009
The termination trial is at an end and we've got a ruling.
After nearly 2 days of grueling trial and listening to testimony presented by witnesses, evidence entered into court, and closing arguments, the judge told us we were all excused yesterday afternoon at 4:30 PM.

No verdict or ruling was given. We were simply told we could leave.

The state attorney explained to me outside of the courtroom that the judge had up to 60 days to rule on the case and that he'd send his ruling in minute entries to the lawyers and they would disseminate that information to the involved parties. The CPS worker said she'd call us when she heard.

I left the courthouse more fearful of the outcome than I had been before the contested termination trial began! The lawyer defending Boo's mom did a GREAT job of arguing her side and the state attorney also did a WONDERFUL job of arguing on behalf of Boo having permanency with us. It was a complicated case. I walked out of court truly not knowing which way the judge would rule. My heart was heavy and I felt sick to my stomach. I feared we'd be left hanging, worrying, for the next 2 months!

Last night I felt so discouraged and couldn't sleep a wink. I slept in the guest bed in Boo's room because it comforted me to hear her breathing as she slept.

Not expecting to hear back for several weeks, imagine my surprise when my cell phone rang at 2:33 PM today while I was at work and it was the CPS worker. She was calling to tell me that the judge had ruled for severance of parental rights!!! He ruled in less than 24 hours!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing! It was so unexpected! I thanked her for sharing the news and called Oronzo and we both choked up as we absorbed the news together.

Not long after the CPS worker called me, I got a call from Boo's lawyer. She called to make sure I had heard the news and we ended up spending 45 minutes talking about several things pertaining to Boo and her long-standing case. That's the longest I've ever talked to her since the day Boo was transferred into our home!

What happens next? We wait to see if Boo's mom will appeal (we strongly suspect she will and, oddly enough, I'm actually okay with that) within 30 days and, if so, then we wait another 6-15 months to see if the higher courts overturns this severance ruling. We've been told that it's very rare for that to happen, but we have to prepare ourselves for the reality that it could happen.

In the meantime, we get to proceed with the adoption process, right up to the finalization. That will have to wait until after the appeal ruling.

13 months and 4 days we've waited for this ruling, praying with all of our might, enlisting the aid of our family and friends in prayer, worrying that we'd loose this precious little girl that we've grown to love so dearly. 20 1/2 months of her 25 months of life, Boo has been in the system as a foster child, without permanency, without a family to truly call her own.

If we get past the appeal, all of that will change. We will adopt her in due time and she will LEGALLY become the daughter she already is in our hearts and she will spend the rest of her life as an well-loved part of our immediate and extended family.

Thank, thank you all for your support. I can't tell you how much it means to me! Please, keep those prayers coming. It's not over yet.

I'll keep you posted on the appeals and adoption processes.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

11:37 PM
33 comments


33 Comments:
At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is FANTASTIC news! I am SO delighted for you!

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Congrats on your good news!! I will continue to pray that all goes well with the adoption process and the appeal.

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

I'm so happy for you, and even more happy for Boo!!

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Carey said...

I am so excited and happy for you! You brought tears to my eyes. You all will be in my prayers.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Kim Davis said...

I'm so happy for all of you!! Celebrate today!!!

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Sally said...

Praise God! He is amazing, isn't He?? I'm so happy for you, and a little teary and choked up, too. =) To go through this whole process (and it's still going) for so long takes a lot of strength, faith, love and dedication which you definitely have. I'm so thankful to know that one more child is safe and loved!! I'll keep praying!

 
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God has heard our cries! Our family is very excited for each of you, and you will continue to be in our prayers!

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on your good news. I can only imagine how difficult this must have been to go through.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger pithydithy said...

This is such wonderful news-- I'm so relieved! Hooray!

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is wonderful news! I will continue to pray for you all. Boo needs a permant family.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Mom! Dude! said...

Been following your blog for several weeks now...and trying to catch up on your old posts as well.

Love your stories, and many congrats to you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Momma Bean said...

I am jumping for joy at this exciting news. We will certainly continue to keep you all in our prayers.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger abebech said...

So happy for Boo. It will be important for her to know that she was very wanted by her first family, yet I'm hoping that Boo's mom's heart heard how Boo is thriving in your home (Boo's home).

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Allie said...

This is good news!! Crossing fingers that all will be smooth for the adoption process!

Allie

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow a serious AMEN Provers 3:5-6

and a much deserved glass of bubbly
blessings
gp in mt

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Kathy's Korner said...

HOOOOOORAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger lightshines said...

Congratulations! That is wonderful news!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I am so, so, so VERY happy for you! Rejoicing in the goodness of our God, the goodness of the judges heart who made the best ruling for Boo. He gave her a family.

Hugs galore to you all and the prayers keep coming! xo

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Kiy said...

That is wonderful news for all of you, especially Boo.

Tears of happiness,

Kiy

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger T with Honey said...

This is a great step forward for Boo! I'm so happy for everyone in your family - my eyes got really misty reading this I'm that happy!!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Mrs. Breum said...

oh, yay!!! I'm so glad/relieved!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Amy said...

That's such great news! I've been thinking of you, which is a little odd for me since I don't actually know you outside of blogland, but I've been praying things would go your way. I hope the appeal process is over with quickly! :)

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger bluebird of paradise said...

Congratualtions!~ I am so happy that the results were what they are. Boo is a very lucky little girl to have you in her life. I hope her mother accepts the wisdom of the decision and puts her child's needs ahead of her own...

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Jacquie said...

What a smart judge! I hope all is well over the next little while and one day soon little Boo will be "offically" what she already is, your daughter.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Cheri said...

Praise God for today's news!

I'll continue praying for your family...

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Erin said...

SO AWESOME!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you all! :)

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger a/k/a Nadine said...

Happy news indeed. Hoping for the best for your family!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Such fantastic news!!! We will continue praying that all goes well and quickly :) Love to you!!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger LeAndMatt said...

Congratulations...I have been checking back often to see how things were going....I'm a long time lurker.

Sincerely
LeAnna
Adoptive mom of 1

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

That is great news! I'm so glad.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger boysmum2 said...

I have tears in my eyes and goose bumps on my body. WOW, what awesome news, I am so happy for you guys, I don't know you, but wow, I am just thrilled. You deserve this a lot and i am in awe of the heart you have to taje this darling little girl into your life knowing she may not stay forever.
I hope she is there forever because she will be truely blessed. Congratulations on getting to the next faze in the process. You deserve it.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I can't believe how far behind on blogging I am!! I'm happy to hear you received some good news on this ruling and that it looks like Boo will get some stability in her life...I can't imagine what the birth mom is going through and I'm sure she's going to appeal, so I know it's not over yet. Continued prayers for Boo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Contested Termination Trial begins- prayers would ...
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Side Dishes Edition)
Court hearing for "John Doe"- *UPDATED*
And so it begins…
Nightmares of Bat Child- resolved!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Coconut Fried Shrimp)
I've been asked to testify in court.
March Pay It Forward book exchange- 6 books up for...
Disturbing message from Baby Bug's mom! *Updated*
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Homemade Pizza Edition)
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: