Friday, June 30, 2006
Five Ingredients (Oronzo's Italian Marinara Sauce)

It's time to exchange recipes for Five Ingredients Friday! This Friday, I'm going to change the rules slightly, to accomodate a fellow blogger, Jess, who claims she just doesn't know many recipes with 5 ingredients or less. So Jess, this one's for you. This Friday I want to see recipes that are 5 ingredients or MORE! Don't worry, next Friday we'll go back 5 ingredients or less.

My contribution is actually from Oronzo. He's given me permission to post his oh-so-delicious Italian marinara sauce recipe. Believe me when I tell you this recipe is well worth the work! When it's made in our household, a big stock pot of sauce simmers on the stove for hours, making the whole house smell Heavenly!

Of course, we can't eat a whole stock pot of sauce in one sitting, so we break it up into individual Ziplock bowl containers and stick it in the freezer to be used again and again at later meals. I use this sauce not just for spaghetti but also for cooking whenever a recipe calls for tomato sauce or red sauce of any kind.

Oronzo learned this recipe from his Italian grandmother and I'm told this woman was a fantastic cook! If any of you take the time to make this sauce, and I hope you do, stop back and let me know how it turned out for you.

Oronzo's Italian Marinara Sauce

Ingredients
2 bulbs garlic
1 large yellow onion
10+ sweet Italian sausages
4 (28 oz.) cans of whole tomatoes
4 (6 oz) cans of tomato paste
oregano (to taste)
basil (to taste)
parsley (to taste)
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
crushed red pepper (to taste)
3 whole bay leaves
1 bottle Merlot red wine
olive oil

Directions
Chop up onion (into large chunks) & garlic, throw in a large stock pot with olive oil & sauté until onion is soft and translucent.

Throw in sweet Italian sausages & cook until juice escapes sausages when pierced with a knife. Remove the sausages & place in a covered bowl in the refrigerator until you're ready to add them later to the simmering sauce.

Add 1 can of whole tomato & 1 can of tomato paste + 1 tomato past can full of water into a blender & blend on pulse for just a few seconds. Pour mixture into stock pot with the onion & garlic. Blend the 2nd can of whole tomatoes & tomato paste (don't forget the tomato paste can full of water), pour into the stock pot, & continue until all cans have been blended & added.

Add about 1/2 to 3/4 bottle of Merlot wine to the pot of sauce. Drink the rest! :)

Add a handful of each (or more or less, according to your tastes) of oregano, basil, & parsley to the pot of sauce. Then add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste.

Put the Italian sausages (or pre-cooked meatballs) back into the sauce to simmer.

Put 3 whole bay leaves on the top of the sauce & leave in for flavoring while the sauce is simmering. Be sure to remove all bay leaves before serving.

Let sauce simmer for several hours before serving! Serve over pasta of your choice! Freeze leftovers for later meals.


Labels: ,

8:10 AM
12 comments


12 Comments:
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I posted my recipe before I read this weeks revised rules.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Catch said...

this sounds heavenly OW...I am going to have to try it!!! ( not today, I already have a ham in the oven) but I will try it and let you know what it turns out like...Im sure I will love it!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Beck said...

That is too funny - I'd already posted my recipe and had "cheated" by using one with six recipes!
That pasta sauce recipe looks EXCELLENT!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

That sauce sounds fantastic!! I'm going to have to give it a try!

Thanks for stopping by my blog to say hi the other day! ;-)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I posted my recipe first thing this morning so I didn't see your revised rules, but mine has exactly 5 (well not counting buns and toppings!) :)

This sounds wonderful and wow this makes a lot of sauce! Good idea about the ziploc bowls too! I'll have to save this one and try it sometime.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I will have to try this with the sweet Italian sausage. I usually use grd beef in my recipe.
Looks yummy...

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Pieces said...

Yay! More ingredients! I posted a great summertime recipe.

The sauce looks good. I thought the wine was going to all be for the chef. :)

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger rena said...

Hmmmmm trying that one for sure....love good Italians...sauces that is!!! Enjoy your weekend. Oh...BTW...go Italia go!! They won today at World Cup...don't know if you care, but suspect Oronzo might!

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DOH! Busted!! {{blushing}} Thank you so much for thinking of me. We're away for the weekend (read no DSL), but I'll get a recipe up tonight, or by tomorrow morning. This sauce of OW's sounds deeeee-lish!! Gonna add it to my recipe file & I'll link you when I do it on my blog. YUMMY!!!! And I promise to play better.... :) {{hugs}}

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger Cathy B said...

I love your blog :) and though I love to eat... I'm not a great cook! Will be sure to visit again and I will certainly share your blog with my other friends. God bless!

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This sounds yummy!! I will have to try it someday when i have time to let it simmer. I posted my recipe a day late...sorry :)

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

This sounds like a great idea so do I leave the recipe with you. I am so new to this. Also, it is heartwarming to hear of your adoption. We are going through something a little different as our daughter is putting her baby up for adoption. It is an open adoption and we still get to be grandparents of sorts so we are viewing this from a whole different perspective but we just keep in mind that God is in control.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Blog of the Week 6
Coping with the death of my beloved uncle.
My first try at embedded video clips.
Sending a scheduled update to Giselle.
Five Ingredients Friday (Muddled Lemonberryade)
Adoption #2 thoughts swirling in my noggin!
"Special Needs" Child
It wasn't supposed to work this way! (Part 10- Ado...
World's Greatest Daddy, hands down!
My recent projects.
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: