Saturday, July 22, 2006
I don't suppose any of you live in or near Alamogordo?
So this Sunday I have to fly to Alamogordo, NM to do a 5 day deployment with my F-16 pilots. They're doing some test flying at Holloman AFB. I don't suppose any of my fellow bloggers live in or near Alamogordo, do you? So, are there any fun sightseeing prospects in Alamogordo? I've never been there before but I've been told there's not much to see!

I'm sick to my stomach at the thought of leaving Snuggle Bug for 5 days! Will he forget me? Will he wonder where I am and if I'm coming back? I'm sure I'll be more distraught about the separation than he will.

I'm told there's not much to do in Alamogordo. When I'm not working, here are the things I intend to do while I'm away:


  1. Eat out for every meal (not my idea of a good time, but at least I don't have to pay).
  2. Catch up on responding to my Blogger emails. Sorry I'm so behind.
  3. Organize digital pictures of Snuggle Bug and back them up to DVD.
  4. Stare longingly at said pictures and wish I were back home playing with my little boy!
  5. Drive about 2 hours to meet a couple of Albuquerque friends 1/2 way so that we can have dinner together one night.
  6. Back up all my Blogger posts, in case something happens (I've heard of some bloggers loosing their entire blog within a matter of minutes and I would cry if that happened to me)!
  7. Catch up on some much needed sleep in my boring hotel room!
  8. Read a book or two.
  9. Do some blog posting and reading (I'm bringing a laptop with me).
  10. Miss Oronzo and Snuggle Bug immensely and impatiently count the days until I can return home!

Oronzo's not much of a list maker, but if I had to venture a guess of what he and Snuggle Bug will be doing while I'm gone, it'd go like this:

  1. Eat out for every meal and rejoice that there is no Weekly Menu Plan in sight.
  2. Eat sushi and chicken serval times during this 5 day period (I don't like sushi or chicken, they both do).
  3. Watch tv whenever and for however long Oronzo would like, without worrying about my wishes that Snuggle Bug not be exposed to excessive amounts of tv.
  4. Mess up the house and not worry about picking it up (oh wait, we already do that even when I'm not gone).
  5. Let the cats up on the couch as much as they'd like.
  6. Read only one bedtime story per night (I'm a sucker and will read Snuggle Bug 2-5 stories per night when he sweetly says, "Peaz" but Oronzo is not such a pushover).
  7. Let Snuggle Bug drink his milk from a bottle rather than insisting he drink it from a sippy cup during bedtime routine.
  8. Let Snuggle Bug run around the house with a messy face or dirty clothes and not feel the compulsion that I do to scrub him clean immediately!
  9. Call me to relay all the cute things that Snuggle Bug is doing/has done in my absence (I hope).
  10. Miss me immensely and impatiently count the days until my return (at least that's my hope)!

Well, that's all for now. Time to go see if my baby is awake so I can cram in a few more hours of precious time with him before I board a plane!

5:50 AM
10 comments


10 Comments:
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Now THAT'S something I'd not thought of - backing up my posts. I'd sit down and cry if I lost it all.

I'm dying of curiosity about your job. I may have to start going through your archives to see if I can figure out what it is you do that involves so much travel.

Poor you. I'd hate to be away from my family that long. Having some time to catch up on your blog will help you stay busy, but still....

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this post today!! But I had family in town this weekend so I wasn't able to read up on my usual blogs like I usually do :)

Ok you do know I am in Almogordo don't you?!?!

No there is not a whole lot to do here, but there is White Sands to go visit...that's always a nice place to go to. There's the Space Museum too if you're into that.

Oh and did I mention me?! You could visit me! We would love to go out to dinner with you if you're up to it.

We actually have an Applebees and Chilis in town (yes this is big news because we didn't have these a couple of years ago!)

Or if you want some good Mexican food we can recommend a great restaurant right outside of town.

And pistachios! If you like pistachios you will have to try a couple places ... they have free samples of all things pistachios ... roasted, red/green pepper, salted, bark, white chocolate bars, ice cream and lots of wine tasting.

Ok guess I better stop such a long post now and just email you! LOL

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Have a safe trip. I like the idea of backing up the blog, but I just have to get busy and figure all that out!

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you have a good trip.
Is there a webcam in your house? Maybe you and Snuggle Bug can say "Hello" through that?
I had Paddy send me video's and pictures on the mobile phone when I was gone for the week.
My heart would make a little leap every time my phone bleeped!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Amber said...

Oh, that will be so hard to be apart for so long. After 15 months, I still haven't done an overnight trip yet. I don't know if I could handle it.

As for backups, that is definitely a GREAT idea. I thought I had lost my blog data one time when my old internet hosting provider turned off my site for some reason. Everything was just GONE and I didn't know if they would give it back. I had part of it backed up (I have been blogging for two years so there is a lot to backup), but I was in tears over the couple of newer months that I hadn't backed up yet. We were able to get the issue resolved with the internet host though (they had made a mistake), so thankfully everything worked out okay. I backup a lot more frequently now though.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger bon said...

Looks like you WILL have a friend there in the town of fat trees. A matter of trivia? I was born and lived the first 5 days of my life there. I highly recommend the green chili and the White Sands.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger rena said...

Oh, I feel for you. Five days away will be hard on you, and no...there's no way he'll forget you! J and I took off a well needed week when ours were 5 and 3 and man, oh man..did I miss them!
Hope you get all accomplished that you need to, and the time flies past fast.

Rena

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He most definitely will miss you and know that you are coming home!!

I hope you can relax and read, catch up a little all the while missing your boys!

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Catch said...

How do you back up your comments???? I would love to do that. Have a good time..I know you will miss Snugglebug but he will be fine. Try to enjoy yourself...you have lots to do on that list! lol

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Thank you for your nice email. I'm glad you don't travel a lot. I can tell you aren't real fond of leaving your family behind. Who would be? Have a nice trip and hurry back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Snuggle Bug's 1st meme!
Five Ingredient Friday (Fudge Frosting)
Goodbye sweet baby.
Works-for-Me Wednesday (sippy cups of water)
Item purchased pre-child
Five Ingredient Friday (Basil Bread)
Works-for-Me Wednesday (pie crust made in bulk)
A Shift in Family Dynamics
You're next! (the race to expand families)
Five Ingredients Friday (Fruit Pops)
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: