Monday, July 03, 2006
Today I attend the memorial mass of my deceased uncle.
In about an hour and a half, Oronzo, Snuggle Bug, and I will be driving 2 hours north to attend the memorial mass of my uncle. He's been cremated, so there will be no burial serivce afterwards. We'll be going over to his son's house to spend time with family that's flying in from out of state to pay their respects as well.

I made my aunt a blueberry peach pie and a card and will be taking them with me.

Baking the pie was nearly an all day affair. I made the crust from scratch, I even pealed and sliced the peaches that were used in the fruit filling. I love baking and, to me, it's an expression of my love when I share my baked goods with others. Of course, Snuggle Bug had to help and so the process took a little longer than expected, but my aunt will appreciate it when I tell her that both of us baked her a pie!

The card I created from scratch as well. The outside says, "With Sympathy." The inside has a simple message offering our condolences, but then I added the letter that I'll list below.

Dear Aunt,

It’s hard to express with words how sorry I am about the death of Uncle. He was kind, handsome, vibrant, friendly, and intelligent. What I will remember most about him though was his great sense of humor, and his love of family.

I’m so thankful that I was given the opportunity to know Uncle, not as a child, but as an adult. It began when you both opened your home to five of us back in 1995, when we traveled from from our state to yours to go to watch our college team play in a bowl game. You two probably hadn’t heard from us for over 10 years and yet, because we were family, you willingly invited us to stay with you for a week. During that week, we learned how wonderful both you and Uncle were.

A year later, I moved to your same state. That first year was rough, I felt quite homesick, but you and Uncle helped by inviting me to your home for the holidays I couldn’t get back to my immediate family for. It was such a comfort to me to know that I had family just 2 hours away, especially considering that I knew no one else when I relocated.

You and Uncle have always made me feel welcome in your home. Staying with you and spending time with the two of you was always such a pleasurable experience. I’m only sorry I didn’t make the time to get back your way for another visit before Uncle died.

I’d like to make sure I don’t make that mistake with you. When you’re ready for company again, please let me know. I’d like to bring Snuggle Bug (and possibly Oronzo) with me for a visit. It could be just a day visit or a weekend visit, whichever you’d prefer.

I hope you know how much I love you Aunt. Please let me know if there’s anything that I can do for you during this painful time. You will remain in my prayers!



6:06 AM
13 comments


13 Comments:
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Catch said...

this is a beautiful card!! better than anything you could have bought! Im sure your Aunt will treasure it....and the pie...Im sure it will be delicious! You are such a wonderful and thoughtful person!!! God bless you OW. Have a safe trip.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

The pie looks delicious! She will appreciate it more knowing both you and Snuggle Bug made it.

What a beautiful card and letter you wrote. You didn't just send condolences and sign your name; you wrote something very personal and from the heart. You talked about memories with your Uncle...I'm sure this will mean a lot to your Aunt and she'll treasure this letter.

Thinking of you all today during the memorial service.

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pie looks fantastic and the letter made me cry a little. Have a safe trip and I am very sorry for your loss.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

The pie looks so yummy and will certainly be appreciated!! As for the card, the words you wrote inside of it made me cry, they were so meaningful and so very touching. Your aunt will no doubt treasure it always. Thinking of you and your loved ones who will all be at the memorial today!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Susie said...

How wonderful that you took the time to bake and create a beautiful card for your Dear Aunt.
I know she will treasure your heartfelt words in the days and weeks ahead...

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger rena said...

I'm sure she'll love the card and appreciate your future visits. This is a hard and lonely time for widows and even when they say "no dear, don't trouble yourself", their hearts secretly hope.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger momteacherfriend said...

That was truly beautiful, I got teary eyed myself. Sometimes we never get to hear how much our generousity affects someone. I know she will be blessed by your words.

The pie is incredible...if we ever get to meet this side of heaven will you make one for me??

Much love!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Beck said...

That's very kind of you - so many times it's too easy to take the easy way out when someone is grieving. It takes courage to actually be emotionally present for them. Good for you for making such a lovely, concrete sign of caring.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

That is such a lovely note... I am sure your words will bring comfort and some measure of peace to your Aunt.

BTW: the pie looks YUMMY!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Granny said...

A lovely tribute from a lovely woman.

I'm sorry about your loss.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Sorry about your uncle, again...

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Karla said...

What a beautiful expression of love. I'm sure your aunt will cherish it for a long time to come.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
My prayers are with you & your family.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

This really touched me. We're losing my uncle, too, so I really appreciated reading your thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Baby News
Five Ingredients (Oronzo's Italian Marinara Sauce)
Blog of the Week 6
Coping with the death of my beloved uncle.
My first try at embedded video clips.
Sending a scheduled update to Giselle.
Five Ingredients Friday (Muddled Lemonberryade)
Adoption #2 thoughts swirling in my noggin!
"Special Needs" Child
It wasn't supposed to work this way! (Part 10- Ado...
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: