Sunday, June 01, 2008
S*X and the City movie review: SPOILER- don't read until you've seen the movie!
WARNING! This post contains a spoiler, so if you haven't seen the movie, stop reading and come back for a discussion after you have!

As promised in my previous post about planning to go see S*X and the City: The Movie post, I saw the movie on Friday night and I'm back to give a review.

Overall impressions? I loved it!

There were parts of the movie that made me cry (several times) and parts that made me laugh, get ticked, shout for joy and even cringe a bit. The movie was 2 hours and 15 minutes and I was enthralled the entire time!

I loved how "real" the ladies looked in this movie. There were times when they were dressed to the nines and looked fantastic. There were times when they had on very little make-up, sported nappy looking hair, and looked their age (not in a bad way).

As I expected, the clothes that the "girls" wore were wacky and fun. I probably won't go out and try to imitate their fashion style as others will, I'm sure, but it was fun to see what outfits they came up with. The wedding dresses Carrie tried on were crazy, but I really loved the last one...the one that was gifted to her.

Okay, let me comment on my thoughts for the various story lines going on in this movie.

1) Charlotte- The beginning of the movie recaps what's happened over the last 4 years since the girls were together at the end of the T.V. series. Charlotte and her husband adopted a baby girl from China, Lily, and she's now about 4-5 years old. I don't know why the writers felt it necessary but they decided that Charlotte was going to become pregnant, thereby fulfilling her ultimate dream. In fact, during the movie she expresses fear that something would go wrong because now she's got everything she ever wanted and is now truly happy...or something along those lines.

I really disliked this story line. It does nothing but feed in to the myth that if you adopt you're bound to become pregnant. It makes it look like adoption is a second choice for women suffering from unresolved infertility issues. I think it does a disservice to women and adopted children on so many levels. Why couldn't the writers have had Charlotte and Harry adopting a second time, maybe domestically this time instead of internationally?

At least, given the crappy story line, the writers tried to make a point of giving the audience the impression that Lily would be loved no less than the new baby Rose.

2) Miranda- I cringed as I watched the interaction of Miranda and Steve in their marriage at the beginning of the movie. I thought to myself, "Please don't let Oronzo and I end up like that. It's hard juggling work, kids, and your relationship with your spouse!" It was pretty clear to see where the writers were leading and I wasn't surprised that Steve cheated. I think Miranda's reaction to leave and end the marriage were pretty realistic. Fidelity is a big one for me! I thought the writers did a pretty good job with having Miranda and Steve eventually get into therapy and I thought the concept of meeting at the bridge and leaving it all behind them was interesting. I'm not sure how easy that would be to do but it was a neat idea.

3) Samantha- seeing her as Smith Jerrod's manager in Hollywood was interesting. I liked how the writers had her coming to realize that she was loosing herself in that relationship and becoming isolated in CA but I wondered why they couldn't have had Samantha and Smith Jerrod work something out, some kind of compromise to make things work, especially after all they'd been through together. At least they didn't have her going back to her old ways in frustration. Instead, she ended it first and then moved back to New York, the home she longed for. I thought it was neat that we finally got to see how old Samantha was when the ladies celebrated her 50th birthday with her.

4) Carrie- the events leading up to her wedding with Big were perfect and quite believable! The line she spoke, "I let the wedding get bigger than Big" was spot on. Oronzo and I struggled to come to an agreement on our wedding. I thought I needed the big Catholic wedding, dinner/dance reception and Oronzo would've preferred to have just him and I. We compromised by getting married in Killarney, Ireland with only 10 people from the states and 10 locals attending. It was the perfect day, for both of us! I'm glad this movie ended with Carrie and Big getting married alone at the courthouse, just him and Carrie, with Carrie wearing the simple dress she'd originally picked out. I thought it was perfect that Big arranged to have Carrie's dearest friends waiting for her outside the courthouse and then they had a wedding dinner of close friends only.

I think all four women did a fantastic acting job in their various parts. Big was great too! By the way, his full real name was revealed. It's John James Preston.

So there you have it, my thoughts and impressions on S*X and the City: The Movie. I'll be seeing this movie more than once, that's for certain.

If you've already seen the movie, care to share your thoughts? I'd love to read them!

Labels: ,

2:26 PM
7 comments


7 Comments:
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Jill said...

I'm not planning on seeing the movie, so thanks for the succint recap! Don't worry you didn't spoil a thing for me!! :-)

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok I didn't read it.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger MamaEscandon said...

I don't really plan on seeing the movie either... but I have to know. DO they EVER reveal Big's name?

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Yes, they do reveal his full name in this movie. Big's name is John James Preston. I kind of like it! :)

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm seeing the movie this weekend with my best girlfriend. We can't wait! I didn't read your spoiler, although I have to admit I was tempted. I'm the type who will jump to the end of a book and see how it ends...but not this time. ;)

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger boysmum2 said...

Haven't seen it yet, only comes out in NZ tomorrow 5/6/08. But yes I will see it, even after reading your comments. Was never the biggest fan so not worried about it being ruined.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Marcia Francois said...

Here's the weird thing for me - I have NEVER watched a SATC episode on TV but for some reason I wanted to see the movie, so I went to see it with a girlfriend and I also LOVED it.

it was so much better than I expected!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Favorite Ingredients Friday (Rice Krispie Treats, ...
Let me see a show of hands, who's going to see thi...
I had a good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Winner of my May Pay It Forward Book Exchange!
Happy Memorial Day
What's In Your Car?
Pay It Forward Winner to be chosen on Saturday!
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Pay It Forward guidelines revisited
We were robbed while on vacation!
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: