Monday, June 18, 2007
We survived the first week of daycare...barely.
Snuggle Bug survived his first week of daycare and, by default, so did we. It started out to be a rough week. This daycare thing is not for the faint of heart and it's caused our hearts much pain and sorrow.

This first 3 days last week, Snuggle Bug cried every day that we've dropped him off. In fact, some mornings he cried when we put him in the car and would say, "No go sool" (which means, "No go to school"). He's also said, "Daddy no go work." and "Mommy, get back here." as I'm walking away and leaving him in the daycare center.

The mornings I tried to keep our parting brief were ugly. I had to peel him off of me, as he's crying and screaming, and hand him over to the teacher and then walk away with the sound of his hysterical sobbing ringing in my ears. Needless to say, I was crying as well as I got to my car and drove to work.

Wednesday I tried a different approach, against the advice of many others who have been there, done that. I brought Snuggle Bug in to his classroom and instead of handing him over and quickly exiting, I asked him to show me the building blocks that I'm told he likes. I carried him over to the blocks and sat down with him in my lap and played with him for 10 minutes or so before leaving. When I told him I had to go to work, his little lip quivered and his eyes filled with tears. The teacher came over and got him and he started crying, but it wasn't the full-on hystrical sobbing that it had been the other days. Thursday worked the same way. Friday, Oronzo dropped him off and went in and played with him a bit before heading to work and it helped again.

Every day last week I called to check on him and I was always told the same thing, "He's having a good day, really. He's playing with blocks and he went down the slide. He's not crying."

As much as we dislike having Snuggle Bug in daycare, it hasn't been all bad. He's making new little friends. There's one little boy in particular that he plays with a lot, or so I'm told.

The daycare seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the kids busy with various activities. Last week they made raindrops, worked on colors and shapes, talked about sea creatures and water, and did some painting.


The "classroom" itself is full of projects that the kids have completed, although I have to wonder how much of the work was actually done by the kids and how much was done by the teacher.

Snuggle Bug's favorite activity is the painting. Kindercare sent him home with one of his projects that he did on Friday and we're going to include it in a packet that we send to Oronzo's mom for her birthday.

So, the bottom line is that our first week with Snuggle Bug in daycare wasn't fun, but we survived and I'm hopeful that things will get better with time.

And now, I leave you with a Carrie Underwood song that I have on my iPod nano that has brought comfort to me throughout this whole daycare ordeal because I'm trying to turn all of this over to Jesus.

Oh, and stay tuned for some adoption related posts this week. I have much to share with you, if you're interested!

Labels: , , ,

5:30 AM
12 comments


12 Comments:
At 7:40 AM, Blogger T with Honey said...

I love this song. Every time I hear I my eyes tear up.

Hope this week goes better! And I'm glad you figured out that Snuggle Bug needs some time with you to help him acclimate to day care every morning. That's some good mommy intuition.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

It would break my heart too to leave when he's crying like that. It looks like a great place though. I hope this week is better!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

we are presently adopting from China so I am looking forward to your posts...Love the picture..
praying for you

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Whew! I feel like Ive been holding my breath this past week.

The question is .... did Oronzo scream and cry when you had to send him off to work? or did he make new friends as well :)

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Of COURSE we're interested in adoption news. Always!! I'm so glad you survived your first week of daycare... even if it was barely. Even leaving my babies with my mom and sister, I still have bad days and will cry on the way to work. It's NOT easy, no matter who is watching them or long you've been doing it. I'll still keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger abebech said...

The slow drop off worked really well for our children -- they begin to see the space as a place you feel positively about and would be willing to spend time in, and as you spend time speaking with his caregivers he'll start to see that they are people you would choose to be around . . .
Though I wish I didn't have to do it (why can't there just be enough hours in the day?!) despite the difficulties a little daycare can be a fantastic thing.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger abebech said...

Oh yeah and really looking forward to adoption posts.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Ang said...

My heart goes out to you w/ the daycare thing. We have to find a daycare pronto, and I'm afraid of what it will be like for Mikey. Hope that this we is going well! :)

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

I just wanted to reassure you that the daycare drop offs will get better. At 18 months now, Cookie runs into her room at the daycare and eagerly joins her friends and teachers (and usually breakfast). Sure, sometimes there is the obligatory whining, but nothing compared to how hard it was at the beginning. Whew - I so relate.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Glad to hear you survived the first week! It is so tough leaving them when they are crying - believe me I know! You're definitely not alone in your feelings there. I remember just dropping Kayla off when I would go to MOPS and she would start crying...I would be in tears too as I was leaving. There is just something not right about walking away from your crying toddler! Even though I KNEW she was ok 5 min after I was gone, I KNEW she was having fun and being taken care of, it still tore my heart out to see her crying like that. She did that when she started preschool too...broke my heart to see her reaching her arms out for me calling "mommy!" I hope each week gets easier for all 3 of you!

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Im glad to hear you all survived.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I can appreciate how hard t he daycare week went, especially the first week. The 1st week is always hard, and it was probably harder since your son is old enough to understand you are leaving. It will get better belive it or not. My daughter started daycare at 2 months old, she is 2 1/2 now and has always went to the same daycare and loves it. She still has days when she cries when I leave, but yet she NEVER wants to go home either. Sometimes its harder on Mommy than the kids. Hopefully this helps!

And by the way, I think the slow drop off is the best way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Happy Father's Day!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Refreshing Drinks Edi...
WFMW (How to get your spouse to do dishes)
We survived the first day.
This week is going to suck!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Sauteed Onion & Tomat...
I'm trying to avoid a panic attack!
WFMW (The Plate Method)
Pictures from our Mexico trips
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Freezer Edition)
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: