Monday, June 11, 2007
This week is going to suck!
In exactly 2 hours, Oronzo will be dropping Snuggle Bug off for his first full day of daycare. It's going to be brutal on all of us!

Last Thursday Oronzo took Snuggle Bug into the daycare and, for the first time, dropped him off for a trail run of a couple of hours. Snuggle Bug sobbed when he figured out Ornozo was leaving. Oronzo said he felt as though his heart was being ripped out of his chest. We learned that Snuggle Bug cried off and on the entire 2 hours there. We felt horrible about it!

Friday Oronzo took him again for another short drop off. This time, Snuggle Bug began sobbing the minute they pulled into the daycare parking lot. He started screaming as Oronzo walked in with him and Oronzo had to literally peel Snuggle Bug off of him to hand him over to the teacher so that he could leave. Oronzo called me from his car on the way out, near tears himself, telling me he's not sure this job is worth what we're putting Snuggle Bug through. He said he felt like a failure as a father! Although my heart was breaking, I encouraged Oronozo to hang in there and give it a bit of time to see if eventually Snuggle Bug was able to adjust and enjoy himself.

I called the daycare center on Friday about an hour after Oronzo dropped Snuggle Bug off. I spoke with the director and learned that he had been crying off and on but the class did a painting project and that captured his attention so he stopped crying to participate. She told me at that very moment he was sitting on the floor playing with another boy and building blocks and he wasn't crying. That made me feel a little better.

When Oronzo arrived to pick Oronzo up on Friday, he looked in the window and watched for about 5 minutes as Snuggle Bug played with containers of water that the teacher had set out for the kids. He wasn't crying and seemed to be doing okay. When he noticed Oronzo in the window, he about bowled over the other kids in his efforts to throw himself in Oronzo's arms as quickly as possible.

Today...well I fully expect today to be ugly. Oronzo will be starting a new job that he's not sure he should be doing anymore, since this transition to daycare is proving to be so difficult to his family.

Oronzo will be dropping Snuggle Bug off at 7 a.m. and I'll be picking him up at 2:30 p.m. I pray with all my heart that Snuggle Bug will survive an entire day there without us. I pray that the teacher will follow my list of "Snuggle Bug instructions" that I typed out and left to be posted in his classroom. I'm sure they think I'm a crazy, overprotective Mama to have made a list, but I don't care. I want them to know his preferences (i.e. he must have his blanket, pillow, and bunny at naptime or he'll flip out and he needs sunscreen and a hat each time he goes outside to play because he burns easily).

Anyway, thank you all for your supportive comments and prayers last week. I can't tell you how much I appreciated each and every one. I've been so stressed out about all of this that it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about what we're putting our baby through.

It's only temporary. It's only temporary. It's only temporary.

Please keep us in your prayers! We desperately need them this week.

P.S. To the ladies who participated in last Friday's Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange, I was spending every precious moment with Snuggle Bug this past weekend so I haven't had the time yet to look at all your recipes. I will try to get that done one night this week. Thanks so much for your participation!

Labels: , , , ,

5:00 AM
14 comments


14 Comments:
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Praying for all three of you.

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Joyful Days said...

You are on my heart. I will be praying all day today as the LORD brings you to mind. I truly wish I were closer & someone IRL for you & I would watch that sweet, sweet boy.

Recipe, schmecipe--hang out and snuggle the little Bug as much as you can.

With prayer,
Julie

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Carey said...

Praying for all of you today!

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Awwww... I know your pain. It WILL Work out. And they don't think you're crazy, cuz ALL kids have specific needs and preferences. You may find that his will change after being in daycare. Seeing that other kids do or don't need all their lovies or having his teacher forget one day and him realizing it's ok, may surprise him.

I remember after Justin started eating lunch at school, he would come home and say he'd tried something new, and I'd be all "WHAT?! You never tried that for ME!" and it was really about doing things on his own that made the difference.

SB will be ok, it's YOU guys that will suffer the most. Wondering if this is really for the best, wondering if you're doing the right thing... you'll figure it out. It's ok. But go ahead and be sad, because it's a part of parenting!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Crissybug said...

I understand that pain that you and Oronzo are going through. It is so hard to see your child cry, and to know that they may be happier with you. This is a hard transition for Snuggle Bug because he is used to having you or Oronzo around at all times. Once he understands that you will always be back to get him...he will be fine. It is good, and healthy for a child to spend some time away from his parents. You all will benefit from this, but it is hard while you are going through it. I hope and pray that the adjustment won't take to long. And yes...it is only temporary. I will be thinking about you guys all week!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Jacquie said...

Oh my I feel for you guys! Your SB is so very lucky to have the 2 of you as parents the love just radiates off of every word you have posted of him.

You are in my thoughts and I will send tons of "good transition vibes" your way.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

(((hugs))) Praying that things start to go better for all of you.

Snuggle Bug is much more important than any recipes. ;)

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh, my friend, my heart goes out to you. Please continue to keep us updated on the daycare situation. I'm praying that its an easier transition that you could possibly hope for! I'm thinking of you!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Mrs. Pear said...

Oh, I will definitely be praying for your family. Your little one sounds like mine - NO CHANGE ALLOWED! So hopefully he will see that this is fun, and, even though it seems like a hugely long timeframe now, it is a short time in the scheme of things to benefit your family greatly!

(I say this after waiting 8 months to sell our home so we could live a reasonable amount of time away from my husband's new jobs - 6.26 miles instead of 80.)

But, even though I knew God was doing something really good in our lives, the time sucked, and I know this does too.

I am so sorry. Hang in there.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I remember the first time we did what you are doing today.

It's only temporary :)

God love ya!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger T with Honey said...

The list was a great idea! If his teachers are good then not only will they follow the list, they are grateful that you took the time to tell them more about Snuggle Bug, his needs and preferences.

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work in a daycare, and I can guarantee you he will be fine. He'll cry for a day on and off and he might cry at drop off for a week, but then he'll be fine.

Just be prepared for the runny nose he might get after being exposed to a new set of germs and of course for the small changes he may have with his personality. Kids generally become more laid back and less shy.

Also, it was a good idea to send a note stating he must have sunscreen on. Most daycares can't do this without a note from a parent (bug spray can't be applied either, or diaper rash cream).

Best of luck you are doing the best thing for your family right now. Will it be hard for a while? Of course, all changes are hard. Will it be worth it? Of course.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Carey said...

Just checking in with you to see how your day went. I hope snuggle bug had a good day at school.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Renee said...

Just read soem of your blog. Hope today went better than you all expected. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Favorite Ingredients Friday (Sauteed Onion & Tomat...
I'm trying to avoid a panic attack!
WFMW (The Plate Method)
Pictures from our Mexico trips
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Freezer Edition)
I'm so busy it's making my head spin!
Join me this Friday for FIF Freezer edition!
WFMW (free steak seasonings/marinades)
On the road again- to Mexico!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Carmalized Pork)
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: