Tuesday, June 12, 2007
We survived the first day.
Well, we survived Snuggle Bug's first full day in daycare yesterday.

Snuggle Bug cried and screamed when Oronzo dropped him off yesterday morning. Oronzo headed to work feeling horrible.

Later, I called the daycare and checked to see how Snuggle Bug was doing. The director said he had cried for about 10 minutes and then a 4-year old little girl, Jade, asked him to play and he was distracted. He didn't cry again the rest of the day.

Snuggle Bug spent the day playing with the building blocks with two little boys his age. He had fun playing outside, especially on the slide. He took a nap when it was time (clutching tightly his pillow, bunny, and blanket), although he took a while to get to sleep. He was too busy looking around at first. He even ate the meals served.

Thanks again, everyone, for your supportive comments and prayers! It's hard to express how much that's meant to me!

I'll keep you all posted on how he does this week.

When I arrived to pick him up, he'd just woken up from his nap and was standing near his little sleeping mat. When he saw me walk in the door, he raced across the room and threw himself in my arms. It felt so good to hug him close to me and know that he was safe!

Snuggle Bug was a bit quiet a first when we got in the car. He asked, "Where Daddy go?" I explained that Daddy was still at work and would be home in a couple of hours.

I took Snuggle Bug for a walk in his stroller and then he helped me pull weeds in the front yard. When Oronzo arrived home, Snuggle Bug didn't rush to greet him. Oronzo had to swoop him up for a hug and kiss. Fickle child. :)

So, yesterday was a slight relief from our worries. I'll be the one dropping Snuggle Bug off at daycare later this morning. I'm not looking forward to that! Picking him up is so much more enjoyable.

Labels: , , , ,

6:35 AM

At 10:41 PM, Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I am so glad he is warming up a bit to daycare. When I left Evan in the church nursery for the first time he didn't even look back, he was so excited about the different toys. There is something to be said for being missed just a little bit.

At 12:46 AM, Blogger amy said...

What a beautfilf blog and I love the nickname snugglebug!

At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is hard i worked when i had my first 2..they had a Catholic childminder though..

God bless

At 4:26 AM, Blogger Joyful Days said...

Yes, it always is easier to do the fun stuff. But it will be good for Oronzo to pick him up and get some of those hugs!!

Glad you made it. Time will make it better. When he's 20, he will probably not remember daycare, but he will remember he's got two parents who love him fiercely!!

He's as blessed to have you as you are blessed to have him. And that's pretty neat.

At 7:19 AM, Blogger T with Honey said...

Pick up is definitely the more fun time.

Do they have a security camera type setup that you can watch what he is doing without him seeing you? I LOVED those cameras when we started Princess at her current school. I would give myself a little extra time in the morning that first week so I could watch her calm down as she sat in her teacher's lap while reading a story.
But the key to drop off is to say "bye" and then leave with a smile on your face, and stay out of sight. Good luck!

At 7:26 AM, Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

Glad that he made it through with relatively little crying. It does get easier.

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Kelly - PTT said...

Oh, it's so hard isn't it?? It will get easier for all of you after a while, but to begin with....

Thanks for stopping by today. It was great to hear from you!

At 8:13 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

Oh it's so hard when you first drop them off isn't it?? You want to just stay thre with them and never leave.

Glad he made it through the day :)

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

I worked in daycare for several years. I can tell you from experience that most of the kids do cry when they are left (the first few times)- but 99% of the time the child is totally fine as soon as he realizes how much fun it will be. A little warning though- sometimes the 2nd & 3rd days are harder than the first. But, more than likely- he will be fine once you leave!

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Jacquie said...

Awwww good job Snugglebug, he is a trooper. Good job Mom and dad you guys are troopers too. I can just see all those little ones napping on their little mats, to cute. I love those hugs when they haven't seen you in a while. So sweet.

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

"When he saw me walk in the door, he raced across the room and threw himself in my arms. It felt so good to hug him close to me and know that he was safe!"
That's what it's all about.

How did Oronzo's first day go?

At 2:57 PM, Anonymous pinks & blues girls said...

So glad it went well! I bet that beeline to you and the hug were priceless!

Hope things stay great!

Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

At 7:39 AM, Blogger Barb said...

I'm taking a little break from the wedding prep to try to catch up with a few people this morning and your last few posts put a huge lump in my throat.

The hardest thing I ever did was leave my girls at a daycare home. They were right around Snugglebug's age and it broke my heart.

Thankfully, the kids handle it a lot better than we do. I just recently went through the same thing with my little grandson Cameron and it was just as hard to handle it as it was when I took his mommy to daycare that first day.

Everyone told me it was good for him and I'd get over it and although I didn't believe them, they were right.

Even if Oronzo were not going to be out of the house and daycare wasn't needed, this is still good for him. He'll be so much more prepared for preschool.

But it's tough and your posts really tugged at my heart.

PS - when I want Rob to do the dishes, I whine. That's all it takes. He'd rather do the dishes than listen to me whine. LOL

At 4:25 AM, Anonymous mia said...

Ugh. First day at childcare. I hated that. Simply awful. Of course I think I took it much harder than my kids did.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)

(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)

Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

This week is going to suck!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Sauteed Onion & Tomat...
I'm trying to avoid a panic attack!
WFMW (The Plate Method)
Pictures from our Mexico trips
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Freezer Edition)
I'm so busy it's making my head spin!
Join me this Friday for FIF Freezer edition!
WFMW (free steak seasonings/marinades)
On the road again- to Mexico!

Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool

Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google

Powered By: