Tuesday, September 12, 2006
How I met my honey!
Barb, one of my favorite bloggers, over at A Chelsea Morning asks the question, "How did you meet your honey?" I thought I'd share our story, from my perspective of course.

It began with the end of a 4 year relationship with a man whom I loved, but couldn't see myself married to. Yes, it took me 4 years to truly understand this and to let go. As part of the effort to make a clean break, I decided to move away from my Midwest town to another state. Having returned from Europe earlier that summer, I'd felt a yearning to see more of the world anyway and I worked for a corporation that had offices throughout the United States, so I didn't think moving would be that difficult.

I interviewed in 3 states and accepted the one that offered me the most money. Yes, I was fairly young and thought that money was the most important thing. Because I was in management, the company paid all of my moving expenses, so that part was easy.

Moving half way across the country, leaving all my family and friends behind, was not so easy. It was especially hard because I knew absolutely no one in the city that I moved to. The first year was rough but thankfully I made a few good friends right away and adjusted fairly quickly. I missed my family though.

One Friday afternoon a dear friend of mine, who ended up being the best man at our wedding in Ireland, invited me to go watch him play soccer. He told me, "After the game, a bunch of us go out for dinner and drinks afterwards and you'd be welcome to join us. I think you'd have fun!" I agreed because I was always willing to meet new people.

Oronzo was part of my friends soccer team, but I didn't pay attention or notice him at that time. It wasn't until after the game, when I sat next to him at the table for dinner, that I noticed the handsome, dark-haired Italian man. During dinner, we chatted, and found out that we had a lot in common. A smaller group of those that met for dinner broke away after eating and went on to a club for drinks. My friend and I were part of that small group, and so was Oronzo. Again, Oronzo and I sat next to each other, but this time it's wasn't by accident.

It became obvious to my friend by that point that there was a spark of attraction between Oronzo and I. To clear the path for Oronzo, my friend loudly announced at our table in the club that he and I were just friends. I blushed fire-engine red with embarrassment and Oronzo beamed with delight.

Before the night was done, Oronzo had secured my phone number and he went to sleep off the affects of his drinks at my friends apartment, while I went home to my own apartment. The three of us agreed to meet for breakfast the next morning.

That next morning, Oronzo and my friend were already at the table when I arrived for breakfast. Oronzo stood up upon catching my glance and waved me over to the table. When I arrived within earshot, he opened his mouth and blurted out, "Wow, you're a lot shorter than I remember!"

Needless to say, I was not amused! I shot back, "Perhaps you'd like to return my phone number that I gave you last night!"

Oronzo quickly apologized with a sheepish smile and we carried on. Later that day, he called me and asked me out on our first date, which ended up being on Valentine's Day. He invited me to his home to cook me dinner. I was nervous about going to the home of a stranger, but my girlfriend, who was with me at the time that he called, talked me into accepting. She made me give her his address and name and I promised to call her when I got home so she'd know I made it home safely.

Oronzo cooked me a fantastic Italian dinner, using one of his grandmother's recipes. We had wine with our dinner and he even played lovely classical music in the background. He was a perfect gentleman that evening, only giving me a modest kiss when it was time to leave.

That was the beginning of our romance. Not only did I gain a boyfriend and eventually a husband after that first date, but I was quickly folded into Oronzo's family as well, which helped me cope with the distance from my own family.

At the time that we met, I was 29 and he was 30. I had never been married, he had been married once but had been divorced for 2 years by the time I met him. Neither of us had children. Both of us had graduated from college and were established in our careers. 5 years after our first date, Oronzo proposed on bended knee and I accepted. We were engaged for a year as we planned our overseas fairy tale wedding in Ireland.

Ornozo and I have had our ups and downs throughout the years of dating and 3 years of marriage, but thankfully we've had more ups than downs. We've both made a commitment to work through the rough patches that any marriage has and, so far, we've managed to keep our relationship strong. I love this man with all my heart and I can't imagine life without him, I don't want to even try. He's my friend, my lover, and the most excellent father I could ever ask for. I pray that God will bless us with long and happy years together as Man and Wife.

There you have it, the story of how I met my honey!

If you're interested in sharing your own story, be sure to link your post over at Barb's blog. And please, leave me a comment letting me know to stop at your blog and read your story!

Thanks!

2:47 PM
31 comments


31 Comments:
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Catch said...

Great story OW!!! Its refreshing to read about a happy marriage for a change... i wish you and Oronzo all the luck in the world!!!! God bless,

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger someone else said...

What a romantic story! And the wedding in Ireland??? The stuff dreams really are made of.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Barb said...

What an absolutely beautiful story, OW. The fact that you dated for five years before you married tells me you both entered the marriage very seriously. I loved loved this. And I have to tell you, when a big Italian family decides you're the girl for their son, well, you're enveloped in more love than you can stand!

Beautiful story. I loved it.

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great story, and great idea. I added our story as well.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Dianne said...

Great story. I love reading these. And I posted mine too.

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. A fairytale wedding AND happily-ever-after? I love stories like this, especially when they're true!

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Beautiful love story and your wedding is the thing fairy tales are made from!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

I loved reading your sweet story, and really loved seeing your cuddly photo. Bet he doesnt call you short very often!

 
At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story and it inspired me to share mine. Come on over and take a peek when you have time. PS- you two make a very handsome couple. Love the snugglty photo!!

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful story...I will be posting mine shortly

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger rena said...

I love your story...also the fact that you have made a committment to work through the rough patchs...so many people avoid rough patchs and go find other patchs to live in instead. Love is a committment and a choice, not a feeling...may you continue to be blessed in your union.

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww what a sweet story!!! Way to stick with it!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

This is so sweet and romantic and also funny. What a beautiful wedding you had in Ireland. My honey and I repeat our vows every five years. I think the next time should be in Ireland...It will be our 25th! God is so good!

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger BlondeBrony said...

I always love hearing stories on how people met.

It's great that you made such a powerful committment; too many people give up. God will always watch over your marriage and keep you both strong.

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an absolutely lovely story. I just love it when two people who are meant to be, actually manage to find each other.
It's SO hard to find true love.
I also admire the fact that, while loving each other to pieces, you still acknowledge there can be bumps in the road. Your commitment to overcoming them together is inspiring.

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that was so romantic. I loved your story. Ireland...WOW!...I'm jealous......
Thanks for your encouraging words on my post.....I will keep you posted.
SOme people just dont realize that words are for life.
Have a great day,
Jen

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

OW, I absolutely adore your "love story", and it is just so touching seeing the way Oronzo looks at you in the picture...the look of "love" is in his eyes. It only gets better...doesn't it!

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Musings of a Housewife said...

Great story!!! Love the Ireland wedding post too.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I love the way his family welcomed you right in. The man can cook too? That is always a plus in my book.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

That is a wonderful story!! I always enjoy a good "when we met" story. Thank you for sharing. And I've seen the photos from your wedding, fairy tale indeed.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger macboudica said...

Awwwww!That was a sweet story. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your story! How sweet.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

that was so neat to read the story of how you met! And quick come back on your part in response to his comment the next morning at breakfast! This was a neat idea that Barb had and I plan to do one soon too.

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your story. :) That commitment to work out through the rough patches is so essential.

Thanks for visiting my place, too. :)

 
At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading he stories of how everyone met. You have a great story. Stop by and check mine out.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

What a sweet story! I've been enjoying reading them all. I'll have to post one too, but maybe not til hubby's b-day.

Kelly
I’m looking for feedback.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice story, and I think that's the first picture I've seen of you, so it's nice to "see" you.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Shalee said...

What a fantastic story! I love that you challenged him by asking for your number back. That's a classic.

Hang in there when times are down. It really is worth the effort!

Come and read about our story too.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys could both get the lead in "The King and I".
What a gorgeous post, love the photo too. I'm glad you got back safely too.

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a romantic story....went over to your 3rd anniversary post and I felt so in-love , i want to go straight to kiss my honey as well. I dont know if I can write a post about how I met my honey....but i'll try

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Remembering 911
Entertaining a toddler in Las Vegas
Five Ingredients Friday (Ktipiti- feta spread)
On the road again- to Las Vegas!
Family Fun
New Era
Is she gone?
Five Ingredients Friday (BBQ Ribs)
Complete
I'm taking a vacation but my blog is not!
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: