Monday, July 09, 2007
Launch of Pay It Forward Book Exchange- Book Giveaway!
Last week I introduced my Pay It Forward book exchange idea and it seems to be well received. So, I'm launching this idea with a free book giveaway!
Let me just recap the Pay It Forward Book Exchange concept for those who might have missed it.
Most all of us love to read and get “new-to-us” books, right? And if you’re anything like me, you love winning things (what a rush), not to mention getting fun stuff in the mail! So here’s what I'm proposing:
1) Once a month I'll pick a book to give away to one lucky reader (you don’t have to have a blog to enter). It may be a book that I’ve purchased new or used, or it may be a book that someone has shared with me that I really like. It’ll probably be a paperback, just to make things easier, but no guarantees.
2) Details on how you can enter to win will be listed below.
3) If you’re the lucky winner of the book giveaway and you have your own blog I ask that you, in turn, host a drawing to give that book away for free to one of your readers, after you’ve had a chance to read it (let’s say, within a month after you’ve received the book). If you mail the book out using the media/book rate that the post office offers it’s pretty inexpensive. If you're a non-blogger who has won the book, please consider donating the book to your local library or shelter after you're done with it.
4) If you’re really motivated and want to host your own “Pay It Forward” giveaway at any time, feel free to grab the button above to use on your own blog. Just let me know so I can publish a post on my blog plugging your giveaway and directing my readers your way!
So there you have it, my Pay It Forward Book Exchange idea, designed to encourage people to read, to share good books, to possibly get you out of your reading comfort zone, and to get fun stuff in the mail instead of just bills!
Now then, my book giveaway for the month of July will be Lucky by Alice Sebold.
Alice Sebold's courageous Lucky describes her experience as a student at Syracuse University.
Alice is an intelligent young woman constantly trying to fit in and make new friends. On the last day of freshman year, her virginity and innocence are taken when she is brutally raped.
After the assault, things in Alice's life change. People start to whisper in the hallways, and her friends look at her differently. At home, Alice's parents don't know how to deal with her situation and try to pretend nothing happened.
When Alice returns to school her friends, once supportive, coldly ask why she would come back. She is restricted to living in an all-girls dormitory and walking outside only during the day; the rapist begins to control her life.
Alice becomes friends with her English professor, who urges Alice to write about her rape to release her feelings. Alice creates an emotional poem about wanting revenge, which baffles her classmates.
After class one day Alice encounters her rapist and runs to the police station. Now he has a name - he's Marshall, not just "The Rapist" anymore. Few rape cases ever get to court but Alice is "lucky" to land a case in front of a grand jury.
If you'd like this gently used book sent to you, here is what you must do:
1. On your blog, write a post about this giveaway, using my "Pay It Forward" button, and then link back to my post. I am sure your readers would appreciate learning about the chance to win a book. You must complete this step to be put in the drawing!
2. Sign the Mr. Linky (the Mr. Linky is that list of names at the end of this post - just type your name in the box) with your name and URL by end of day on Friday, 13 July. Note: If you are not a blogger, you may still enter. Just sign your name on the Mr. Linky without a URL and then email me your contact information. Please note on your email that it is for the Alice Sebold book giveaway.
I'll announce the winners this coming Saturday morning, so be sure to check back.
Best of luck!
Edited to add: The winning name pulled from the hat was Jill at The Diaper Diaries.
Additional Book Giveaways!
1) Sheryl is giving away a book each week. She's already given away The Storekeeper's Daughter by Wanda E. Brunstetter and The Quilter's Daughter by Wanda E. Brunstetter. Head on over to enter her weekly book giveaway. Thanks, Sheryl!
2) Vail is giving away the book Death of a Garage Sale Newbie by Sharon Dunn on 3 August. You still have chance to enter to win. Thanks, Vail!
3) Carolyn gave away the book Beyond Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingsbury. Thanks, Carolyn!
4) Lorie gave away the book Unchartered by Angela Hunt and I was the lucky winner! Thanks, Lorie! I'll be sure to "Pay It Forward" when I'm done reading your book.
5) mamabright gave away the book Bygones by Kim Vogel Sawyer. Thanks, mamabright!
6) Deena gave away away the book Return to Me by Robin Lee Hatcher. Thanks, Deena!
7) Heather gave away Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I've read this book and it's excellent! Thanks, Heather!
8) Lauren gave away 3 Seconds by Lew Parrott, Ph.D.. Thanks, Lauren!