Wednesday, August 02, 2006
Long Shots (adoption/job related)

We have two new developments going on at our house. I consider them both long shots and I'd be happy to explain why.

1) We have a blip on the adoption front (for posts on our efforts to adopt #2, click here and here) from a very unexpected source, my father. I've posted about my father several times. If you're interested, you can read about him here and here.

So, the day before yesterday I was talking on the phone with my father and out of the blue he tells me, "I've heard about a local woman that is pregnant. She has children that she's struggling to care for and her boyfriend wants nothing to do with the baby. I'm told she's considering adoption. Would you be interested in learning more?"

I told my dad, "I guess that would depend on several factors like, how far along is she?, what type of parenting resources has she explored?, and what does the baby's father have to say about the possibility of his child being placed for adoption in another state?"

"I don't have any of those details," my dad admitted. "I wanted to check with you first before I even tried to get more information. If she wants to talk to you, can I give her your number?"

"Sure," I told him. "Or, if she's comfortable, I'd be happy to call her so she doesn't have to worry about long distance charges."

I haven't heard anything back from him yet and I don't expect to right away. This is definitely a long shot, but I'm thankful that my dad is keeping us in mind. I just never expected him to be one to come forward with a lead. He doesn't get out much, or so I thought.

2) Oronzo is, at this very moment, interviewing for a full-time job. If he lands it, he's told it will pay $100,00 or slightly more and will end up being a management position. We're both very conflicted on whether or not we want him to land the job.

On one hand, the steady income would be really nice right now, especially as we work towards adopting again. You may know that Oronzo is currently doing contract work from home, while he cares for Snuggle Bug, and I work a full-time job as well. Oronzo's getting pretty steady business from his contract work, but what we're struggling with is getting his clients to pay in a reasonable amount of time (as in, 30 days from invoicing). We're finding that some (not all, but some) of his clients are more likely to pay within 60-90 days, and that's with a lot of prompting from Oronzo. It's quite a stressful situation for him and it can put a strain on our finances at times, not knowing when we can expect payment. So, the full-time 6-figure job would alleviate that stress and I would probably be able to drop down to part-time work and eventually quit working altogether to stay home with both kids, when we're fortunate enough to adopt a second child. I would love to be a SAHM, but right now we need two incomes and my type of work doesn't allow me to work from home like Oronzo's does.

On the other hand, we're both a bit skeptical that this particular job situation will be right for Oronzo. If he's going to be paid $100,000 and managing a staff, more than likely he will be expected to work overtime. Oronzo and I have discussed this. Working overtime for special projects is acceptable but being expected to routinely work 50-60+ hours a week is definitely not. We both cherish our time with Snuggle Bug far too much to sacrifice it at all costs for a high paying job. If, during this all-day interview, Oronzo discovers that the expectation that comes with this job is a lot of overtime, he'll decline the position if it's offered to him and I'll support his decision 100%. I'd rather we continue muddling along in our current situation than have Oronzo sell his soul for a job he'll be miserable in and be forced to spend little time with his son.

It's not just overtime that's a factor either. The work environment has to be laid back and positive enough to tempt Oronzo to work there. His boss would have to be the type to empower Oronzo to do his job without wanting to micromanage. Oronzo has been his own boss for about a year and a half now and he truly loves it. The only reason he's even considering this position is because the company is reputable, the work sounds as though it would be rewarding, and the salary would be pretty nice too.

All things considered, this job opportunity is a long shot as well. I'll be interested to hear what Oronzo has to say around 4 p.m., when his interview is finished.

Don't worry, I'll keep my faithful readers updated on the status of both of these long shots. Prayers would be appreciated, not necessarily that God give us what we think we want, but that He leads us down the right path, whatever that may be.
9:42 AM
10 comments


10 Comments:
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Unfortunately, there's a reason management doesn't punch a time card. I hope this job turns out to be the perfect one for him. The reliable income would be wonderful of course, but I respect you and him both for putting your child(ren) first. Keep us posted.

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow how exciting!

Best of luck for all fronts!

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment!

I wish your whole family the best of luck.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Lori said...

You will be in my prayers. My sister adopted two wonderful girls this last year. One they were working towards, and one that basically "fell into their laps" in a matter of days. I know the roller coaster well.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger rena said...

You have a lot on your horizon right now. You're in my prayers that everything works out the way it should.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I am praying for you for another baby. I know the Lord has the perfect baby for you! God is so good. Also, I am praying for wisdom for your husband and yourself and this new job offer.

Also, thank you for all the notes of encouragement that you send my way. You are a treasure!

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I will be thinking of you and all of this :)

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger The Roaming Southerner said...

Hey, thanks for the heads up about the mis-link. I was typing to fast! Thanks for all the comments. Hope you have a good day!

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Trista said...

Best of luck in the discernment process for both these opportunities. Our family is also trying to discern a new job for my husband and is currently waiting an adoption opportunity. I feel your pain/joy!

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouw, that is al lot to take in, isn't it? Two things with such amazing potential. I love the way you are approaching this.
I am you sending you lots of positive energy and really hope that the path ahead unfolds it's self in the way you need it to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Works-for-Me Wednesday (cake baking tip)
Hooray for 100! (100 posts, that is)
Five Ingredient Friday (Fruit Dip)
Yates Not Guilty in Kids' Deaths
Works-for -Me Wednesday (comforts of home while tr...
I don't suppose any of you live in or near Alamogo...
Snuggle Bug's 1st meme!
Five Ingredient Friday (Fudge Frosting)
Goodbye sweet baby.
Works-for-Me Wednesday (sippy cups of water)
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: