One of my readers requested that I post instructions on how to create categories within Blogger, as my Works-for-Me Wednesday tip, so here it goes.
1. Visit the script generator here.
2. Enter your blog URL in the first textbox. Leave out the "http://", and very importantly, leave out the "www." as well (this is because www.yourblog.blogspot.com is actually an alias to the actual yourblog.blogspot.com)
3. Next, enter your first category in the next textbox.
4. To add one more category, click on the link "click this to add one more category" and enter it in the textbox that appears. Repeat this step, if necessary, to add more categories.
5. Go to your blog Template and look for the section called sidebar. Then paste the copied code at the place where you want the categories to appear. In my blog, I have a Sidebar title called “Categories.”
6. Save your template and republish your blog.
7. Note that this technique (or hack) actually makes use of Blogger Search to categorize your posts. Thus it is important that you name the categories appropriately so that the search results return the correct posts. The category name should contain keywords that appear in your post. One extremely effective way is to either (1) prefix every post's title with its category name, for example, "Blogging: categories categories...", or (2) ensure that your post contains the category name somewhere. You can also manually add a line at the bottom of your post that says, Tags: and lists your relevant category words for that post.
8. (You may need to republish your entire blog sometimes, to let Blogger index your pages.) If you find that Blogger Search is not searching your blog, check that you have activated the "Site Feed" and "Notify Weblogs.com" features for your blog (under Settings), and that your template does not contain a meta tag to stop the search bots from indexing your blog.
This works for me. Maybe it'll work for you too! If you have any questions, just let me know and I'll try to help! And if you want to see screen prints of each of these instruction steps, visit this website
If you'd like to share something that works for you, please leave me a comment. And be sure to link yourself over at Shannon's, the host of Works-For-Me Wednesday.My past WFMW entries:
alternate use for pot rack
cake decorating tips
unique way to stay connected
cake baking tip
comforts of home while traveling
quenching the thirst of your little one
pie crust made in bulk
hot chocolate kicked up a notch
Labels: Works-For-Me Wednesday