Saturday, October 21, 2006
Childhood Home
My parents sold our childhood home last spring and while we’re all thrilled for my parents and this new chapter in their lives; it was one of the hardest things to say good-bye to that house. The following is something I wrote the week after we moved them out.

We said our final good-bye to our childhood home yesterday. We spent all weekend moving my parents out of their house and it was a chore. On Saturday, we rented the U-Haul and my parents had a number of volunteers ranging from family to friends to youth group kids running in and out of the house with boxes, mattresses, and furniture. I’ll be the first to admit that the Sanchez Sisters weren’t among the harder workers but we chipped in with our fair share. My favorite memory of the day was when all four girls grabbed Alli’s queen-sized pillow-top mattress and carried it from her room to the U-Haul Truck; we were in tears from laughing so hard. Then on Sunday, my parents, sisters, spouses, boyfriend, and Grandma Nancy spent the day cleaning the house from top to bottom. Emotions were high and temperaments flared as the cleaning fumes went to our heads but we got the job done.

Once the cleaning was done, the immediate family (just Mom, Dad, Christine, Alli, Courtney, and I) said good-bye to our family home. It was emotionally exhausting to say good-bye to a house where 21 years of memories took place. I walked from room to room and was flooded with different memories; laying on my parents bed crying from a recent heartbreak; whispering secrets in a dark room with Christine; watching Mom place baby Courtney in her crib; heated family discussions at the dinner table; raising tents in the backyard; my first kiss on the front porch; and the list goes on. (I’m getting misty just sitting at this computer writing about these things.)

How do you wrap up all those memories into one final good-bye? How do I accept that I will never again walk through that front door? How can I thank a building for taking good care of us and being part of so many memories? We met in the living room, our eyes red from crying, and said a final prayer. I watched as my father lost his composure and wasn’t prepared for his good-bye to the house; I watched my baby sister, Courtney, come to grips that she was leaving the only house she’d ever known. We called Jon in for a final photo in front of our fireplace and then we closed the front door for the last, and final, time.

Good-bye, dear, sweet house! Thank you for the memories and thank you for taking care of our family for 21 years; you will be missed!

My name is Jenn, I'm the mommy of an almost-2-year-old and another baby is on the way; I blog over at Knee-Deep in MunchkinLand. Overwhelmed is currently on vacation and she has asked a number of guest bloggers to blog this week. I am absolutely honored to have been asked and I hope they have a wonderful time this week!! I know she’ll be missed…
10:51 AM
7 comments


7 Comments:
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet and wonderful post!! I never had that, we moved a lot, but I sure to give that to my children, especially after reading your post!

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Beck said...

Sniff - great post, Jenn. I'm going to be sure and visit your blog!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Wow, what a great entry today. Thank you for sharing such a personal part of your life with us. Many blessings to your parents in their future home filled with many new memories of all of you.
Becca

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

That was so sweet! I lived in several houses growing up and so I am not sure I ever had that feeling as a child but moving from our farm of 19 years to the Black Hills was very difficult and it was hard on my kids as well. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Carolina Mama said...

Very touching. Thanks for sharing and what a neat ide to write a post for Overwhelmed. Will c heck out Knee-Deep. GoD Bless!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I enjoyed reading this post - since I grew up in a military family moving around all the time, I never had a childhood home. Thanks for giving me a peek into what it would have been like!

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how hard it was for you to say good-bye to your childhood home. My husband still has a hard time driving by his childhood home knowing that he can't walk around in there anymore. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Favorite Ingredients Friday (Chocolate Chip Banana...
Query Response from Adoptive Families!
Crazy Busy!
Adoption #2- Response from CSS.
Adoption #2- Trying to get a response.
Shout out for upcoming blogger events!
Five Ingredients Friday (Caramel Brownies)
Counting to 10
Bye Bye Baby, Hello Little Boy
Works-for -Me Wednesday (No Fear Shakespeare)
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: