Friday, October 27, 2006
"What's That?"
Welcome to another addition of "Guest Blogger!" Before I get started on my post, I did want to let everyone know I do have a recipe posted below; couldn't let Friday go by without having an ingredient for today! So check it out and leave a link for your own recipe too!

Now that I got that out of the way - this is Michelle of Big Blueberry Eyes. As the previous guest bloggers stated, I am also honored to be asked to be a guest blogger while Overwhelmed is away on vacation.

So, to the title of this post - "What's that?" has now become a favorite question of my 3-year old daughter. Why does a 3-yr old asking that question warrant a post? Because my daughter has a speech delay. When you have a child with a speech delay, or any delay really, you tend to notice all of those much smaller milestones that lead up to the big ones. In speech and language it's considered a milestone to be able to ask and answer the 5 "wh" questions.

Kayla understands the concept of "where" and uses that, although she usually will leave the "where" out and just say "ball go?" or "fish go?".

With us asking her all the time "what's that" when we're reading books or something she was bound to start asking it herself. She has been for the past several weeks now. "At's that?" you hear over and over and over and over again. (I guess this is like when they get to the "why" stage and everything is "why?"). She even asks the question when she darn well knows what "at" is!

She especially likes to ask it while I'm driving somewhere. Of course I can't see what her finger is pointing at as I'm driving down the road, so I try to take a guess at the passing scenery and throw something out there, not knowing if she was indeed pointing at what I named or not. More often though I'll put the question back to her, "I don't know, what is it?" Sometimes she'll answer me, sometimes she'll just ask it again.

When we walk down the street to catch the bus I hear "at's that?" every morning. We pass our neighbors house with Halloween decorations. The first day I told her that is a witch and that is a ghost. The next day when she asked I said, "I don't know Kayla, what is that?" and she told me "a witch!" "a ghost!"

While it can get redundant to hear, what seems like every 5 min, "at's that?" I'm actually quite thrilled at this. She's communicating with us; asking us questions. Her speech and language is coming along bit by bit, but I get to hear it all develop and unfold and rejoice in each magical milestone.
7:11 AM
12 comments


12 Comments:
At 8:23 AM, Blogger DeAnna said...

How sweet! Its so cute to watch little ones trying to "learn" things around them. It is funny that they ask things when they know what it is - if Isabella does this and I answer incorrectly she'll say "No it not - its a...." Instead of getting into the WHY stage Isabella is into the "Why not?" stage. Like, no you can't have candy right now "Why not?" She even answers herself sometimes "Why not? Cause!?" :) I do love their little inquisitive stages.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Beck said...

Great post, Michelle. I don't know if I've ever written this, but my older two kids (and likely the younger one) have speech disorders - not vocabulary or grammatical issues, but extreme problems with having their speech be understood. So this post really meant a lot to me - I really know where you're coming from!

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the post Michelle! What's that is a hard one! Becca says "That is?" Because that is how we respond to her! You are so awesome and patient it totally shows! Way to go!

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to this since my little one has a speech delay. I did just read an article, I forgot which magazine, that said they are finding some kids actually don't have the skills to speak until they are 7. Anyway my 8 year old, who also had speech difficulties, has had extensive help in school and at his conference yesterday I found out his speech and reading are on level for 3rd grade. His special ed teacher mentioned to me that since he took so long to read he now seems to have a comprehension rate and fluency rate higher then the kids in his class who read early. My 7 year old read in kindergarten, but now I notice his fluency and comprehension are no where near his brothers. Anyway what I'm saying is all kids are different and they all learn at different rates. Congratulations to your daughter.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Yay! Glad to hear of a great milestone! Justin had the "Why?" question for about 2 years straight. groan... I also tend to answer in great detail, with scientific answers as that was what he was wanting. Sooo... I now know EXACTLY how electricity works, why the leaves turn colors, how gravity helps us (we don't go spinning into space), and on and on...

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Catch said...

Kayla is a beautiful child, but I have to say she also has a beautiful Mommy, who enjoys teaching her and watching her respond and grow. Kayla and you are both blessed Michelle to have each other. ( I dont mean to leave Dad out, its just that he isnt in blogland with us...lol) Both of you are so lucky to have such an enchanting daughter, and Kayla is lucky to have such wonderful parents who love her with all their being. For most of us that is a normal thing to love your child so much, but as we read the newspapers anymore..you wonder whats happening. Its almost like some women are losing their Motherly instinct to love and protect their child. Very distressing and very scary!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

This is so adorable and very exciting as well. Kayla is indeed just precious! And she will be asking "at's that" for a long time.

God Bless and thanks for a heartfelt post.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw - that's awesome Michelle!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

It's so wonderful to hear how Kayla is progressing so well...just knowing that she understands what "what's that" means is fabulous!! She is such a little darling and has stolen all our hearts:-)

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so sweet. I can't remember if she asked me that... Maybe I'm just used to my kids asking that all the time too. You're pretty good at thie guest blogging thing.
love you

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great questions... I wouldn't mind either. :) Go Kayla!!!

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Kayla...that is great....we are very proud of you. Keep it up.

HUGS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Favorite Ingredients Friday (Chocolate Cream Pie)
Overwhelmed...With Absolute Joy
guest post from cmhl
Travailing Prayer
Knitting Soothes My Soul
Childhood Home
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Chocolate Chip Banana...
Query Response from Adoptive Families!
Crazy Busy!
Adoption #2- Response from CSS.
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: