Monday, February 12, 2007
Valentine's Day cookie fest
Before I show you lots of pretty cookie pictures (click on them to enlarge for more detail), I wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you who participated in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Valentine's Day chocolate edition recipe exchange last Friday! I'm thrilled with all of the mouth-watering chocolate recipes I got!

Since it seems as though many of you are chocoholics like I am, I'm going to leave a button up on my sidebar that's linked to the chocolate edition post. Feel free to stop back as often as you'd like to look through those recipes. And if anyone wants to add their favorite chocolate recipes to the list, feel free to do so at any time. It's never too late. :)

Now, for the fun cookie fest that I had this past Saturday. I invited 3 ladies over to decorate cookies with me. Friday night, I spent several hours making dough and baking over 70 heart shaped cookies, of all different sizes. I asked my lady friends to bring frosting, food coloring, sprinkles, and either a plate or cookie bags to take home their share of cookies.

We started the fun at 1 p.m., after I got Snuggle Bug down for a nap. I had a long table set up and had melted dark and white chocolate ready. I also had the packaging supplies ready as well.

It didn't take long for us to get in the groove of frosting and decorating our pile-o-cookies! We chatted, laughed, sampled, and just enjoyed ourselves along the way. Keeping Oronzo away was a tough chore. We allowed him to custom make a couple of his own cookies and then told him to get lost and leave us to our work! Little does he know, I have a bag of secretly designed cookies stashed away to give him on Valentine's Day!

When we were all done, we had a table full of beautifully decorated cookies. We stood for a bit and marveled at our handiwork before moving on to the packaging phase. We had hearts with sprinkles, pink frosting, red frosting, white frosting, dark/white chocolate, and lots of combinations in between.

For the packaging, I used the idea given to me by Carol over at She Lives. She gave a link on How to make your own customized candy hearts and I used that link to make tags to attached to the cookie gift bags that I found at Target in their dollar bins!

I made candy hearts with messages like, "Best Neighbor", "Thinking of You", "Happy Valentine's Day", and "Best of Friends". I printed these hearts out on cardstock and then strung 2 or more together to create the tags.

I put my helpers to work punching holes and threading ribbon to put the finishing touches on the tags. This was no easy task because I had 21 bags just for my neighbors alone!

The end result was even cuter than I expected! On Wednesday morning, I'm going to load the cookie bags and Jacob up in his wagon (I think I'll decorate the wagon with red & pink streamers and a sign that says, Valentine's Day cookie delivery) and have him help me deliver cookies to all our neighbors.

We also made up gift bags for our spouses, children, and close friends. For these, we used clear cookie bags that I found at Michael's. I think I paid $4.00 for a bag of 50. The clear ones are fun because you can see the pretty cookies inside.

So, our Valentine's Day cookie fest was a huge success! Fun was had by all and we're looking forward to delivering our treats to family and friends!

So, what fun treats do you have in mind for your loved ones? Anyone else decorating cookies?

Labels: , , , , ,

6:11 AM
16 comments


16 Comments:
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow those look fantastic!!! Well done!

I am getting together a little package for J and Becca tomorrow.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Those look fantastic! I wish you were my neighbor:)
I have to do packages for the boys to take to school, and I think I'm doing rice crispy treats (must keep in mind wheat, egg, milk, peanut and red dye allergies).
I have candy and stuffed animals for the boys for their Valentines treats and candy for hubby along with one of the suggestions from the "50 cheap dates".

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

So beautiful! Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Have a Happy Valentine's Day!

- Andrea

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

can I just say I wish I was your neighbor?! Wow! You are so nice to make all of those cookies and deliver to your neighbors! I'm exhausted just thinking about you making 70 cookies by yourself the night before, not to mention the decorating, packaging and name-tagging the next day!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I have been dipping pretzel rods in pink and white chocolate all morning...and dipping strawberry flavored marshmallows in chocolate...yummy. I have also been making chocolate suckers....red ones....yum yum yum...we were going to do cookies I may do these for easter instead...I dont know.....I have been making double batches for the kids in Madison;s class...I still need to make rice krispie treats too....I love doing these things...I loved your cookies..we did these at Christmas....

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Calico Sky said...

you actually made these??? Wow you are so talented. I really enjoy cooking, but sadly I have never been able to make a cookie. I have tried over 100 x and they never turn out.
You are very very talented!!!

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I want to be your neighbor too!!! They look fantastic!

We are expecting snow tonight. I am sort of hoping the kids have a snow day tomorrow so we can bake cookies and make valentines for their classes. ;o)

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh my word, you have been one BUSY, BUSY woman! Those look absolutely delicious!!

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cookie fest? Hope I was there to ... well, eat them.

Have a romantic Valentine's.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Those are just too cute. How fun was that?

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger An Ordinary Mom said...

I really wish I was your neighbor. My heart has a certain soft spot for delicious sugar cookies. My mouth is just watering looking at all of these yummy treats!

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how cute! Your cookies are adorable and the wagon idea is precious!! I wish I was that creative, LOL!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger PastormacsAnn said...

Wow these are so cute and they look delicous! Sounds like you all a fun time.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Barb said...

How absolutely wonderful! My gosh, look at the fun you four had and look at the result. What a clever idea. I'm sure everyone enjoyed this so much. Your photos are just great.

Honestly, this looks like so much fun, I fully intend to steal this idea from you first chance I get. :-)

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now my heart-shaped brownies look awfully pathetic. ;) What wonderful treats you made!!

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Stopping by late to say WOW! I am just so impressed with your talent and your energy! And did I say WOW?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

I'm a Blogging Chick now!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Valentine's Day Choco...
Blogging makes friends of strangers.
WFMW (Love, Sweet Love Edition)
I'll never be mistaken for a foot model!
Cheap Dates: Free music concerts
Mark your calendars for 9 February!
Jewelry, Hidden Treasures, & Cheap Dates
Favorite Ingredient Friday- Super Bowl Sunday Edit...
Favorite Ingredients Friday- Valentine's Day
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: