Thursday, March 22, 2007
What has surprised me most about motherhood?

The Mom Blogs has started presenting weekly topics for discussion and I thought I'd participate in this week's question, What has surprised you most about motherhood?

Here's my response.

1) I always believed that I'd be enjoy being a mother, but I didn't realize how much fun motherhood would be! Sure, there's the sleep deprivation, endless bottles and diapers, occasional toddler temper tantrums, and such, but that's all such a small part of motherhood. I'm enjoying the hugs, the kisses, the snuggle time, the exploring nature, the imagination, the developing sense of humor, and the energy of my son. Every day is new and different.

2) I didn't realize how completely my child would look to me for guidance and support. When he gets and owie, he comes to me for a kiss and suddenly it's "all better" (what an amazing feeling that is)! When he's in a group of people, he looks to me for reassurance. When he's scared, he needs my comfort. My husband and I are the center of his world, and he is ours. We love it!

3) I didn't realize how often my husband and I would have different views on little things dealing with parenting our son (i.e. I like Snuggle Bug in bed early at night and don't mind him waking up early the next morning. Oronzo would prefer to put him to bed later and have him sleep in later the next morning.) Parenthood is teaching us both the fine art of compromise.

4) I didn't understand how my son would imitate my every word and action! Even the littlest action that I do, he mimics. It humbles me and makes me stop and think about what I'm doing and saying. That's a good thing!

5) As much as I lament at how quickly my son is growing up (he's now 2), I didn't expect to enjoy each developmental stage better than the previous one! I hope this joy continues right through his teenage years and beyond.

6) I didn't realize how much I would worry about my son. When he was an infant, I worried about whether or not he was eating enough, did he weigh enough, was he learning and developing on target? Now that he's a toddler I worry about things like, is he getting enough socialization (he's a stay-at-home kid), are we reading to him often enough, why won't he eat veggies, should he know some of his colors by now, how can we teach him not to run out into the street, am I spending enough quality time with him when I'm not working FT? I know the worrying never ends, I just didn't realize how intense it would be sometimes.

7) I didn't realize how intensely I'd love my child! The fact that I didn't carry him for 9 months and give birth to him makes absolutely no difference to me. I would throw myself in front of a bus if it meant saving him. He is the light in my life.

These are just some things that come to mind. Perhaps it's because my husband and I waited until our mid-thirties to become parents, but I find myself feeling so thankful and grateful to be parenting this adorable son of ours. I know there will always be some challenges along the way, but I'm okay with that. The rewards of motherhood far outweigh those challenges.

So, what has surprised you most about motherhood? Please feel free to share a couple of thoughts with me in my comments section!

Labels: , ,

6:00 AM
8 comments


8 Comments:
At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you that the the intense feeling of love was the most surprising thing for me. I knew I would love her, but this much blows my mind :)

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

These are just soo true. I didn't realize how hard it would be sometimes and then how completely wonderful it would be at others. I didn't know that I could frustrated with my girl and then madly in love with my girl all in the same day.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Everything you've said here is so true. I think for me, the biggest surprise was the depth of love I felt for my child the moment I found out she even existed. There's no way to describe it.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean about kids copying every word you use. I use that to teach my 1-year old words to use.

I'm not successful, most of the time.

"Ass, ass," my 1-year old told me once. He pooped and I just finished washing his butt.

"What do you mean ass?" I asked. "I just washed you."

"Ass, ass," my 1-year kept saying.

I'm getting annoyed.

"Stop that," I said.

"Ass, ass."

Then my 4-year old walked by.

"Daddy," he said. "He wants to wash hands!"

Oh.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

overwhelmed!!!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Rae said...

I'll get back to you on this when I experience it! ;)

I have my FIF up already, I'm going on vacation so I won't have time to post my link up on Mr. Linky until really late tomorrow night. If you could do it for me, that would be sooo wonderful. If not, I'll get it at some point tomorrow night. The link is http://lifewithrae2.blogspot.com/2007/03/fif-mock-manicotti.html just in case.

Thanks & I hope you have a wonderful Friday! =)

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

Wow, what a question...so very many of the same things you already mentioned but I love it when they get older and you have these amazing conversations. Your relationship develops into more of a friendship and I guess I just never thought of that when they were smaller.

I also am sometimes surprised at how much I miss the different stages my children went though. I kind of mourn at times when they were toddlers, young children... because the time does flow by so quickly. You miss those stages I think because they were so precious.

I think that is why God created grandchildren, so we can continue in many ways to experience those stages of our children through their children - does this make any sense?

Hugs to you!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger momteacherfriend said...

My first I moment of I did not realize was minutes after my son's birth when the contractions continued. No one ever told me that you weren't done with labor after the baby was born. And the surprises have continued.

Like how much I have to rely on God to raise our kids and make wise choices each and every day.

Or how you could dream children's books. Brown bear brown bear what do you see? or Good night bears sitting in chairs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

WFMW (send credit score soaring)
Hospice Care
Toddler products I'm ordering soon
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Tropical Fruit Salad)
Changing our spending habits.
WFMW (foolproof creamy cottage cheese)
Blogging Your Baby
I have a confession to make.
Grains of Gratitude
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Killarney Cream Scones)
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: