Thursday, March 22, 2007
What has surprised me most about motherhood?
The Mom Blogs has started presenting weekly topics for discussion and I thought I'd participate in this week's question, What has surprised you most about motherhood?
Here's my response.
1) I always believed that I'd be enjoy being a mother, but I didn't realize how much fun motherhood would be! Sure, there's the sleep deprivation, endless bottles and diapers, occasional toddler temper tantrums, and such, but that's all such a small part of motherhood. I'm enjoying the hugs, the kisses, the snuggle time, the exploring nature, the imagination, the developing sense of humor, and the energy of my son. Every day is new and different.
2) I didn't realize how completely my child would look to me for guidance and support. When he gets and owie, he comes to me for a kiss and suddenly it's "all better" (what an amazing feeling that is)! When he's in a group of people, he looks to me for reassurance. When he's scared, he needs my comfort. My husband and I are the center of his world, and he is ours. We love it!
3) I didn't realize how often my husband and I would have different views on little things dealing with parenting our son (i.e. I like Snuggle Bug in bed early at night and don't mind him waking up early the next morning. Oronzo would prefer to put him to bed later and have him sleep in later the next morning.) Parenthood is teaching us both the fine art of compromise.
4) I didn't understand how my son would imitate my every word and action! Even the littlest action that I do, he mimics. It humbles me and makes me stop and think about what I'm doing and saying. That's a good thing!
5) As much as I lament at how quickly my son is growing up (he's now 2), I didn't expect to enjoy each developmental stage better than the previous one! I hope this joy continues right through his teenage years and beyond.
6) I didn't realize how much I would worry about my son. When he was an infant, I worried about whether or not he was eating enough, did he weigh enough, was he learning and developing on target? Now that he's a toddler I worry about things like, is he getting enough socialization (he's a stay-at-home kid), are we reading to him often enough, why won't he eat veggies, should he know some of his colors by now, how can we teach him not to run out into the street, am I spending enough quality time with him when I'm not working FT? I know the worrying never ends, I just didn't realize how intense it would be sometimes.
7) I didn't realize how intensely I'd love my child! The fact that I didn't carry him for 9 months and give birth to him makes absolutely no difference to me. I would throw myself in front of a bus if it meant saving him. He is the light in my life.
These are just some things that come to mind. Perhaps it's because my husband and I waited until our mid-thirties to become parents, but I find myself feeling so thankful and grateful to be parenting this adorable son of ours. I know there will always be some challenges along the way, but I'm okay with that. The rewards of motherhood far outweigh those challenges.
So, what has surprised you most about motherhood? Please feel free to share a couple of thoughts with me in my comments section!