Thursday, April 26, 2007
Hereto forever more known as “bag lady”
I’ve never been a purse sort of gal. Oh sure, I have always had a couple of tiny, tiny purses (you know the kind that only fit a few bills and a tube of lipstick) for my occasional grown-up nights out, but for everyday use I’ve stuck with what I refer to as a large wallet. If you look at the pictures I’m sharing, you’ll see how unorganized the large wallet option can be!

After Hetty died, her daughter came in and went through all of her things to prepare much of it for donation. Hetty’s husband, Jack, insisted that I have a few of her favorite things, like the black purse that you see below. I didn’t have the heart to tell Jack that I don’t do purses, so I took it home. Once I got it home, I contemplated giving it away but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it…it was one of Hetty’s favorite purses, after all. It made me think of her fondly when I looked at it.

So I decided, “I guess it wouldn't hurt to give the purse a try.”

It didn't take me long to transfer the contents of my large wallet into this purse and take it out for test drive.

It also didn't take Oronzo long to start teasing me about carrying a "little ol' lady" bag.

Come on now! Even at 85 years old, Hetty was one stylish lady! Does this look like just another "granny" bag to you? Having never owned a real purse before, I'm a bit fashion challenged in this area.

No one ever clued me in as to what cheap entertainment a purse can be for a toddler. This purse kept Snuggle Bug distracted in a restaurant last night for nearly 30 minutes. He pulled everything out of my bag, examining each piece as if it were a hidden treasure newly discovered. He put everything back in the purse, rearranging items with zeal. He was quite fascinated! It was if he'd never seen a purse before. Come to think of it, he probably hasn't, at least not a mommy purse.

I realize now that, if I'm going to keep using this purse, I'll need a small billfold for my money and credit cards, rather than leaving these things floating around in a jumbled mess in one of the three large pockets. Who knew that purses would need accessories?!

Does anyone have suggestions on where I might find a nice black billfold? Are there any companies out there reading my blog that would like to donate a black billfold in exchange for some linkage love!

Anyone? ((sound of crickets chirping))

Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to take my "little ol' lady" purse and go shopping!

Labels: , ,

6:00 AM
10 comments


10 Comments:
At 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sweet that you have a little something that was your friends.

You can find way cuter purses to match your wonderful personality :)

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger With His Grace said...

Black bilfolds are a dime a dozen...if you live near a Wilsons Leather go check it out and parade around their clearance section. I bought a snazzy hot pink one a not too terribly long ago for about $4.00. Some may be more expensive some not. Their clearance is usually another 50% off the clearance price, and if you dig you might find a good gem....I buy all my purses from them.

I carry a purse (like it was a sick addiction) but our daughter never wanted to go thru mine, however grandma's has something magical and powerful in it because even now at 3 1/2 that is one of the first things she wants to do when she sees grandma! And you are right it can add up to a LONG time of entertainment!

It is very stylish for a senior having it as well! Well done!

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your site and love it.
So glad you are enjoying the purse from Hetty.

-S.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Crissybug said...

How sweet is that. I inherited my grandmothers dining room table. It is such a sweet reminder of the great person she was.

I too am a wallet person. Mainly because I don't want to carry around a diaper bag and a purse. You could probably find an inexpensive billfold at a wal*mart or Tar*get.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Tammy and Parker said...

I have a huge bag that is this wild, vibrant green. I figure everything that I wear is covered in Pediasure, tape residue, and other misc,. gunk, so I deserved a bright and happy bag! lol!

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could even try Kohl's or JC Penny's for a wallet. I've found some nice cheap ones on the clearence racks!

Also, I couldn't find it anywhere on your blog that you've already been nominated, so I've given you a blogging award/ meme. Go to my blog for more details :)

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

That is so nice that you have something to remember Hetty by! and a bonus that it kept snuggle bug so busy at the restaurant! I'm sure you could find a black billfold almost anywhere!

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love that Jack wanted you to have her handbag. It is quite stylish and obviously he considers it a treasure shared. I would load my "stuff" in it and carry it proudly until it wore out. How he must care for you to part with something so personal as a lady's purse, his dear wife's purse.
Blessings,
~Toni~

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Leann said...

I have found nice ones at goodwill and thrift sales.and even got a few given to me.that is a nice hand bag.
God bless.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Domestic Goddess said...

I found a designer purse with tags still on it at a Goodwill store. FOr ten dollars. So, even though I never carried a purse in my life, I had to have it. It is large enough that I can still put a diaper and wipes in it, small enough that I am not carrying a suitcase.
I found a black billfold at Tarzhay, of all places...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Book Giveaway- Sign up now!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Vegetarian Edition)
Witnessing A Dream Come True
WFMW (10 Ways to Make Brushing Fun! )
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Reading Books by Randy Alcorn
Grains of Gratitude
Are you smarter than a 5th grader?
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Cupid's Cups)
Adoption #2- Creating a Photo Scrapbook
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: