Monday, April 16, 2007
Reading Books by Randy Alcorn
Not long ago, I got an email from Anne at Authors On The Web asking me if I'd be willing to receive copies of two books and post a review on my blog. Despite not recognizing the author of these books, Randy Alcorn, I emailed Anne back and told her I'd be happy to do so. I love to read and was excited at the opportunity to review a couple of new titles.

The first book I read was Wait Until Then. This is a heartwarming story about a wheelchair-bound boy, Nathan, and his beloved grandfather who is dying of cancer.

The story revolves around talks between Nathan and his grandfather about their mutual love of baseball, Nathan’s desire to be able to run and walk like other kids, and his grandfather’s efforts to explain why we have suffering and bad things on this earth but how all will be made new on the New Earth. Nathan's grandfather also talks about how Jesus is building a special place for each of us in Heaven.

The book is recommended for children ages six through ten, but I believe it can help open dialogue about the death of a loved one, Heaven, and the plan of salvation with children of other ages as well. Randy Alcorn includes a helpful note to adults at the end of the book to offer guidance on what points to share after reading the book together.

Doron Ben-Ami has done a fantastic job illustrating this book! His illustrations are warm, colorful, and life-like. My favorite illustration is the one at the very end!

The next book I read was Heaven for Kids. This book took me quite a bit longer to read, and not just because it's 194 pages long.

With this book, I found myself stopping to look up bible passages that are referenced throughout. This book encouraged me, an adult, to open up my bible and to read and reflect. I think it'd do the same for a child.

I can truthfully say I really enjoyed this book and got a lot out of it. In fact, I wished I had read this book before my neighbor Hetty got too sick to converse with. Just after she was diagnosed with a brain tumor and was feeling afraid, she asked me, "What are your thoughts on Heaven? How do you think things will be there?" Sadly, at the time, I was only able to share vague thoughts and the conversation didn't go very far because I didn't know what to tell her. Honestly, even as a Christian, I've never really known what to think of Heaven.

Reading this book has given me a clearer picture of what Heaven might be like, and how to prepare for Heaven. The easy-to-use question-and-answer format is helpful for independent readers aged 8-12. It's also nice for us adults who may be reading it in preparation for the questions our children (or others, like Hetty) may one day ask us.

Just a few of the questions covered in this book were:

Is Heaven a real place?
So how can we know what Heaven is like if we've never seen it?

What happens the second after we die?
Do people in Heaven remember life on earth?
What is the New Earth? What will it be like?
What will our new bodies be like?

One of the things I loved about this book is that Randy Alcorn made reference to many passages from the Chronicles of Narnia books by C.S. Lewis, as well as passages in the bible, in his efforts to bring home the points he was trying to make. I don't know about you, but I loved reading all the Chronicles of Narnia books as a kid and I enjoyed those references used in this book.

If you haven't read Wait Until Then or Heaven for Kids yet, I encourage you to do so. I believe you'll enjoy them as much as I have! I'm going to try to get my hands on another one of Randy Alcorn's books, Heaven, which is geared towards adults.

Has anyone read any books by Randy Alcorn? If so, what did you think?

Labels: , ,

6:02 AM
6 comments


6 Comments:
At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to read "Wait until Then"

TFS...

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Carol said...

My son would love this book! Thank you for the recommendation!

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I was hoping you would do a book review here on your blog about that book!!

(Thank you, by the way. I got the package last week and it is all wonderful!!! I will update on the auction on my adoption blog)

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

I am going to check these out. I also want to read "Heaven" - my pastor's wife read it after her dad passed away and she thought it was a wonderful book.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger GLouise said...

Thanks for the reviews! I have read Alcorn's book "Safely Home," about persecuted Christians in China.

It is amazing, and I strongly recommend it. It is written in novel format, but based on true stories from the past 10-15 years.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger twiga92 said...

I love Randy Alcorn's stuff. The only non-fiction I've read of his is "Money, Possessions & Eternity" which is very thought-provoking. I've read 2 of his fiction - Deadline and Dominion - very suspenseful, well-written mysteries. Highly recommended. Thanks for these reviews!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Grains of Gratitude
Are you smarter than a 5th grader?
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Cupid's Cups)
Adoption #2- Creating a Photo Scrapbook
WFMW (Crayola Twistables Slick Stix)
Look what Snuggle Bug can do!
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Imagine my surprise!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Easter Edition)
WFMW (car edition)
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: