Friday, September 07, 2007
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Italian Edition)


Good Friday to you all! It's time for a special Favorite Ingredients Friday Italian Edition! Italian food is by far my favorite type of cuisine, so I can't wait to see what recipes you all come up with! !

My contribition is a fresh pasta dough recipe and one for cheese ravioli filling.

Both of these recipes came out of the little recipe booklet included with my hand-cranked Villaware Pasta Machine and VillaWare 10-Square Ravioli Maker that I love dearly!

If I ever want to wow guests (or my husband) I whip out my pasta machine and make fresh pasta or fresh ravioli. It's a somewhat laborious process when all is said and done, but well worth the effort! Nothing can compare to pasta/ravioli made from scratch!


Fresh Pasta

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
4 extra-large eggs
A bit of extra virgin olive oil

Preparation:

Mound the flour in the center of a large wooden cutting board. Make a well in the middle of the flour, add the eggs. Using a fork, beat together the eggs and begin to incorporate the flour starting with the inner rim of the well. As you incorporate the eggs, keep pushing the flour up to retain the well shape (do not worry if it looks messy). The dough will come together in a shaggy mass when about half of the flour is incorporated.

Start kneading the dough with both hands, primarily using the palms of your hands. Add more flour, in 1/2-cup increments, if the dough is too sticky. If too dry, add a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Once the dough is a cohesive mass, remove the dough from the board and scrape up any left over dry bits. Lightly flour the board and continue kneading for 3 more minutes. The dough should be elastic and a little sticky. Continue to knead for another 3 minutes, remembering to dust your board with flour when necessary. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes at room temperature. Roll and form as desired.

Note: Do not skip the kneading or resting portion of this recipe, they are essential for a light pasta.

Cheese Ravioli Filling

Ingredients:

1 lb ricotta cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons dry parsley flakes
1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup romano cheese, finely grated

Preparation:

Mix all ingredients in a bowl until smooth.

When filling your raviolis, do not overfill -- a little filling may escape the pocket seal, and that's okay, but too much will weaken the seal and make a huge mess when you cook!

And of course, whether I'm making pasta or ravioli, I have to serve it with Ornozo's Italian Marinara Sauce! The sauce makes the dish!

Now, I look forward to seeing your Favorite Ingredients Friday Italian Edition recipe! I won't be able to visit your recipes right away but fear not, I will stop by to visit your recipe as soon as I can!

Don't forget to link your specific recipe post link on Mr. Linky so I can see what's cooking at your house!

Oh, and be sure to put the title of your recipe in parenthesis! It makes it so much quicker for me to go back and search for recipes as I build my weekly menu.

For guidelines and my past Favorite Ingredients Friday recipes, click here.

Thanks so much for your participation. I do appreciate it!


Labels: ,

5:30 AM
15 comments


15 Comments:
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've made a lot of things from scratch, but never pasta. I even have a pasta roller that I've never used. Maybe I'll get brave soon and try your recipe. It does sound delicious.

 
At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never made pasta from scratch! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Carey said...

I would love to make fresh pasta. We make a PA. Dutch recipe that uses fresh noodles, but they are big flat square pieces of dough. How fun it must be to make.
I forgot to right my recipe next to my name. It is an italian dessert.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Kim Davis said...

I have "always" wanted to do that - it sounds like fun!!

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I have always wanted to make homemade pasta......yours looks divine...thanks for doing this I love Italian foods.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Mrs.T said...

Wonderful theme this week! I doubt I will try making pasta from scratch, but it's nice to have a tried-and-true recipe.

Thanks for hosting!

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

This does sound fabulous! I need to buy that machine!! I am now very hungry! I agree, Italian is my favorite as well with Chinese a very close second! Pasta for breakfast...Now what could be better!

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Lorie said...

Wow such great recipes from everyone today! Good theme!

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two questions. Do you ever dry your noodles to use later? Does it take much time to make your own noodles or do you have store pasta on your hand as well?

I love making things from scratch. It makes you feel like a real old-timer!

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger MommaofMany said...

My friend makes her pasta, but I have never tried. She says it's super simple, but....

Thanks for choosing this theme. I am very excited to get some new Italian recipes, as it's our favorite!

Momma

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Renee said...

Mmmmmm! Fresh pasta! This sounds wonderful- Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful weekend.

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! I remember when I was little my mom used to make homemade pasta occasionally and it was sooo good!

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Shelby said...

marvelous looking!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Donetta said...

This sounds wonderful! I could try it with my other grains. I have a Kitchen Aide and do not have that part yet, but I can dream :) Maybe I'll look into pricing it.
Any time you want to do a meme I have done just join in . I'd love to get to know you.
I know these days might seem long but it will happen :)

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Joyful Days said...

Everyone's recipes sound great! I'll be back to participating this week, the LORD willing. Still trying to find "normal" again. We were on the road again last Friday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Adoption #2- We're getting closer!
Works For Me Wednesday: Brand Loyal Edition
September Pay It Forward Book Exchange giveaway- 2...
Product Review: ReliaDose®
Favorite Ingredients Friday (apple pancakes)
If bribing my son works, I'm all for it!
WFMW: Lowering Cholesterol tips
Results from meeting a nutrionist
I'm off to receive a lecture!
I used to have car envy!
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: