Friday, December 15, 2006
Favorite Ingredient Friday (Roly-Poly Santa Cookies)

Good Morning everyone! Thank goodness it's Friday! It's been a very long week. :) I'm looking forward to getting some Christmas shopping done this weekend. Nothing like procrastinating until the last minute!

Well, it's time for another Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange!

The recipe I'm about to share is from my 1992 Better Homes & Gardens cookbook called Cookies, Cookies, Cookies .

Forgive me, the picture I'm about to share is not so great. I took a picture of the picture in my cookbook. I'll actually be making these cookies again tomorrow and I'll take a picture of my baked cookies and re-post it here tomorrow.

Note: Pictures have been added to my Saturday post so stop by and take a peek.



Roly-Poly Santa Cookies

Ingredients

  1. 1 cup butter
  2. 1/2 cup sugar
  3. 1 Tbsp milk
  4. 1 tsp vanilla
  5. 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  6. red paste food coloring (you can get this at Michael's)
  7. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  8. white frosting

Preparation

  1. Mix butter on medium to high speed on your mixer for about 30 seconds or until softened. Add sugar, beat until fluffy. Beat in milk and vanilla. Add flour and beat until well combined.
  2. Remove 1 cup of dough and set aside.
  3. Stir red paste food coloring into remaining dough until desired color is attained.
  4. Shape each Santa by making one 3/4-inch ball and four 1/4-inch balls from the white dough.
  5. From the red dough, shape one 1-inch ball and five 1/2-inch balls.
  6. On an ungreased cookie sheet flatten the 1-inch red ball for body to 1/2-inch thickness. Attach white 3/4-inch ball for head; flatten to 1/2 inch. Attach four 1/2-inch red balls for arms and legs. Shape remaining 1/2-inch balls at the ends of arms and legs for hands and feet. Use chocolate pieces for eyes and buttons.
  7. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove and cool on wire racks.
  8. With decorating bag fitted with a plain tip, use your white frosting to pipe a mustache, a band of icing on hat, cuffs at hands and feet, down the front, and at the bottom of jacket. Use a star tip to pipe beard and pom-pom on hate.
  9. Makes 12.

Fear not, I'll take pictures along the way as I make these tomorrow and I'll come back to this post and upload them so that if you're really interested in making these, you'll have a clearer idea on what the instructions mean. These cookies are really cute and they make great gifts for the holidays!

I look forward to seeing your Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe! Don't forget to link your specific recipe post link on Mr. Linky so I can see what's cooking at your house!

Oh, and be sure to put the title of your recipe in parenthesis! It makes it so much quicker for me to go back and search for recipes as I build my weekly menu.

My previous Favorite Ingredients Friday recipes

Cole's chili
Grandma's Sponge Cake
Parmesan Bow-Tie Skillet
Scalloped Potatoes
Chocolate Crepes
Chocolate Cream Pie
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Caramel Brownies
Peach Banana Daiquiri

Thanks so much for your participation. I do appreciate it!



Labels: , ,

6:32 AM
9 comments


9 Comments:
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those cookies look cute and yummy! I can't wait to see the after pictures. Mine is up and up early so I can get ready for BooMama's tour. I'm skipping Fridays Feast today, but wouldn't miss Favorite Ingredient Friday:) Have a great weekend!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Those do look yummy. I can't wait to someday make cookies with my child, too.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

what cute looking cookies! I bet this is something Kayla would have fun making and decorating!

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's seems delicious and funny to make. My kids would love to make the decorating part.:)

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger BlondeBrony said...

I am back :)

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! I'm making cookies this weekend for my husband to take into work and I'll add this one to the list! Thanks!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

I have a gene in my body for cookies!!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Granny said...

Thanks for the food coloring tip. No matter how much of the bottled stuff I use, it still seems to turn out hot pink.


Cookies look yummy.

Merry Christmas if I don't get back here before then.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Rae said...

These sound delicious & I just checked out the other post with the pictures and I think they're so cute! I can't wait to make some =) Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'm sad I wasn't able to participate last Friday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

2006 Christmas Tour of Homes
WFMW (12 lbs 'til Christmas)
Blogger Beta doesn't like me!
Snuggle Bug's 2nd birthday party
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Cole's chili)
Adoption #2- Uncertain about our lead.
Adoption #2- We've got a lead!
Getting into the spirit of Christmas
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Grandma's sponge cake)
So, how was your Thanksgiving?!
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: