Friday, December 08, 2006
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Cole's chili)

Good Morning everyone! Thank goodness it's Friday! It's been a long week. :)

Well, it's time for another Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange!

The recipe I'm about to share is from my brother, Cole. He has started a tradition of making a big pot of chili on football Saturdays (when the Huskers are playing out of town). He invites family and friends over to watch the game and they are greeted with the appetizing aroma of his chili bubbling in a pot of the stove. This is, by far, my favorite type of chili.


Cole's Chili

Ingredients

  1. 3 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
  2. 3 (15 oz) cans warm water
  3. 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  4. 2 (15 oz) cans Del-Monte original recipe stewed tomatoes
  5. 1 (15 0z) can mexican style chili beans
  6. 1/2 cup minced onions
  7. 1 Tbsp Lowrey's seasoning salt
  8. 1 tsp garlic salt
  9. 1 tsp pepper
  10. 1 tsp chili powder
  11. 1/2 package taco seasoning
  12. 1 1/2- 2 lbs. ground beef

Preparation

  1. Brown the ground beef, coating with chili powder. Drain and add to a stock pot.
  2. Saute onions with 2 tsp olive oil or butter until softened. Add to the stock pot.
  3. Add remaining spices into the stock pot.
  4. Add cans of tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, and chili beans.
  5. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat so that chili can simmer for several hours.
  6. Note: If chil is too thick, add tomato juice. If too thin, add tomato paste. If you want your chili spicer, add more chili powder.
  7. Optional: serve with shredded cheddar cheese and crackers.

This is always a big hit with our family and friends! If you decide to try it, I hope you'll love it as much as we do!

I look forward to seeing your Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe! Don't forget to link your specific recipe post link on Mr. Linky so I can see what's cooking at your house!

Oh, and be sure to put the title of your recipe in parenthesis! It makes it so much quicker for me to go back and search for recipes as I build my weekly menu.

My previous Favorite Ingredients Friday recipes

Grandma's Sponge Cake
Parmesan Bow-Tie Skillet
Scalloped Potatoes
Chocolate Crepes
Chocolate Cream Pie
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Caramel Brownies
Peach Banana Daiquiri

Thanks so much for your participation. I do appreciate it!


Labels: , , ,

7:34 AM
19 comments


19 Comments:
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy! I love chili!

 
At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy! I love chili!

 
At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy! I love chili!

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds yummy! I love chili!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Pieces said...

I guess Miranda likes chili. :)

I love mexican-style chili beans. I put them on salad straight from the can.

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds yummy! the thicker the chili the better!

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds yummy! the thicker the chili the better!

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your recipe seems delicious!!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

We love chili, especially in the cooler months. Years ago I started serving it with rice. It helps stretch out a pot if you have lots of mouths to feed, and it's delicious. When someone new first sees it, they think it's odd, until they try it. :o)

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

This sounds yummy and like it'll serve an army! I could make this up one weekend and freeze about 1/2 of it for another dinner - thanks!

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!! Sorry for all the comment posts. My computer kept taking me back to the page to verify the letters, so I didn't think any of my post went through. It was really fustrating me when I thought none of them went through :) Blonde moment!!

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love chili! I can't wait to try this one out! Sounds great!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

This sounds awesome. I love chili with cornbread.

Thanks for all the prayers!

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your recipe sounds yummy. We are big chili fans here. This has been a crazy day. Due to a flat tire, mine is late, but up now. And for some reason, I couldn't find Favorite Ingredient Friday for this week on your site. It's taken awhile, but I'm here now. Hope you enjoy:)

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! I'm having to miss this week, but I'm NOT missing reading all of these delicious recipes!! :) :)

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

Mmmmmm think I'll head for the crockpot.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Rae said...

Oooo, sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing & hosting! =)

 
At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love chile and this sounds scruptious! I love your blog site. Do drop by and visit me sometime. thank you.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger lightshines said...

Sounds yummy. I cannot wait to get back to blogging and Five Ingredient Fridays. Soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Adoption #2- Uncertain about our lead.
Adoption #2- We've got a lead!
Getting into the spirit of Christmas
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Grandma's sponge cake)
So, how was your Thanksgiving?!
WFMW (toddler healthy eating techniques)
We're in Nebraska
Heading home for Thanksgiving!
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Parmesan Bow-Tie Skil...
WFMW (reindeer puppet)
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: