Wednesday, April 18, 2007
WFMW (10 Ways to Make Brushing Fun! )


Before I share my WFMW tip, I'd like to mention that this Friday I'll be doing a Vegetarian edition of my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I hope you can join us!

Now, it's time to post yet another WFMW tip. For the longest time, Snuggle Bug was really good about brushing his teeth, but over the past few months he's decided he's no longer interested and it's been a challenge to convince him otherwise. This week I'm sharing some tips on brushing that I found on the Orajel website.

10 Ways to Make Brushing Fun!

While brushing is usually a fun experience, your child may go through a cranky phase when he or she hates to brush. if this happens, try not to make tooth brushing a battleground. Be casual and lighthearted about it all, brushing your own teeth with great gusto and delight, so your child sees how much fun he or she is missing.

Remember that bedtime brushing is most important and, during the day, offer your child lots of plain water after meals.

Here are some ways to make brushing fun and easy for parents and kids (I do #s 1, 3, 6, & 10):

1. Brush with your child — Stand next to your child in front of the bathroom mirror and brush together. It's a nice time together, and your child can mimic your brushing technique.

2. Brush in bed as part of the bedtime routine — If you use a product like Baby Orajel Tooth & Gum Cleanser that is safe to swallow, your child can climb in bed and begin unwinding. Some nights you might even include one of the many books available on taking care of teeth or visits to the dentist.

3. Cute toothbrushes — There are lots of great-looking children's brushes available in stores. Be sure to choose a toothbrush that's small enough for your child to hold comfortably, with a small, rounded head and very soft, polished bristles. You'll probably have to replace toothbrushes every three to four months (more often for preschoolers who tend to chew while they brush!). For babies, a soft finger toothbrush is easy for you to use.

4. Tasty toothpaste — For children under 4, choose a product formulated especially for children, like Baby Orajel Tooth and Gum Cleanser. It has a special mild flavor that babies and toddlers love, in Fruit or Apple-Banana. It's also safe to swallow and non-abrasive. So tooth and gum care is easier and more fun.

5. Count as you brush — Count out loud as you brush each tooth: "Tooth number one is all clean! Tooth number two is all clean! Here comes tooth number three!" This is entertaining for your child, and a good way to practice counting.

6. Say Ahhhhh! — You can't say "ahhh" with your mouth closed. As you brush his or her teeth, encourage your child to say "ahhh," varying the pitch, tone, and rhythm to keep things interesting.

7. Bring a friend — At bedtime, kids may want to invite a favorite stuffed animal into the bathroom to watch as they brush.

8. Tell a toothy story — Kids love to hear favorite stories again and again. Try making up a special short story that you tell only during teeth-brushing time.

9. Make a sticker poster — Hang a piece of bright construction paper on the bathroom wall. Each time your child has a thorough brushing, he or she can choose a sticker or star and put it on the poster. You can also have your child color in Thomas, Percy, James and Gordon on our Thomas & Friends "Brushing Chart" .

10. Sing a toothy song — Make up a silly song to sing every time you brush. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece. Here's what I sing to Snuggle Bug while we brush our teeth:

"Brush your teeth. Round and round. Circles small. Gums and all. Brush your teeth!"

Making brushing fun works for me! To see what works for others, be sure to check out the other links at Shannon's, the creator of Works-For-Me Wednesday!

My past WFMW entries:

Crayola Twistables Slick Stix
kids car organizer
stop urban legend emails
send credit scores soaring
foolproof extra creamy cottage cheese
stainless steel ball whisk
Uses for your child's wagon
10 Reasons Why Parents Should Not Spank
Love Sweet Love
travel tip
free children's printables
calendar labels
Strawberry Spinach Salad
mesh laundry bag uses
12 lbs 'til Christmas
toddler healthy eating techniques
reindeer puppet
Grocery Game website
No Fear Shakespeare
list of age appropriate children's chores
linking within comments
baptism gift
creating blogger categories
alternate use for pot rack
cake decorating tips
unique way to stay connected
cake baking tip
comforts of home while traveling
quenching the thirst of your little one
pie crust made in bulk
hot chocolate kicked up a notch

Labels:

6:00 AM
13 comments


13 Comments:
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great brushing tips! Here is another fun brushing song/rhyme:

Up like the rocket
Down like the rain
Back and forth
Like a choo choo train

Thanks for sharing!!

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Joyful Days said...

You are such a good mom! We are a bit wilder here. I think I like your plan better.

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Annie said...

Great ideas.
Before Izzy's accident she was a toothbrush addict :o) Every trip to Target had to begin with a walk down the toothbrush aisle to find a cute toothbrush. I hadn't thought about that in so long.
The best way to get my 13 year old son to brush regularly has been to say, "If you don't brush regularly, you will get huge brown holes in your teeth." Worked like a charm, I don't even remind him anymore!

Thank you for your prayers! It is amazing when you seek answers from God, He provides them!

blessings~
Annie

 
At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tips! Joey hates it when I brush his teeth, I'll have to try some of these out!
And hopefully this Friday won't be as crazy as the past few and I'll be able to post my Favorite Ingredient Friday!

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger cdorsey said...

Some very good ideas...and some of them still work on teenagers lol.

Vegetarian...my daughter will be thrilled as she doesn't like meat. Can't wait!

Catherine
http://angelfoodcakeisntacandle.blogspot.com

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is always some sort of animal in Becca's mouth that needs to be brushed out. Be it chickens, dinosaurs or the like. Works for us :) Great tips!

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tips! Around here anytime there is hesitation I just say, "You can use mommy's toothbrush." I have an electric brush that uses replaceable heads. My kids love to use my "grown-up" brush. I keep extra heads just for these occasions.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Beck said...

Excellent tips! The Baby is very against getting her teeth brushed, so I'll see if these help.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

We use the sing a song method! "this is the way we brush our teeth, brush our teeth, brush our teeth, this is the way we brush our teeth to get them nice and clean (or before we go to bed, or so early in the morning)."

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Great ideas! Luckily I haven't had any rebelling against teeth brushing yet. All I have to say is "you don't want your teeth to turn yellow do you?".

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger ~Shelia said...

Since my kids are under 5, and monitored bathtimes are a must, we frequently have brush in the tub time. I would suggest doing this in the beginning of the bath, since dropping and dipping of the toothbrush can be a hazard! We also tend to brush to the goofiest made up songs about brushing. It really doesn't matter what you sing, as long as it is about brushing teeth and it is long enough to get the job done!

Thanks for the great tips. Always good to have some tricks up my sleeves!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Hi! Those are great tips! Thank you. I have 9 kids and this is definitely something I could improve on. I am going to try the stuffed animal thing. Sounds fun! Your blog is great.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhh, it makes me relive the memories I had with my nephew. I used to brush my teeth with him, and there was one time when he resisted on brushing his teeth. The next day, while I was sitting in front of my computer, I called my nephew and showed him a picture of a set of rotten teeth with an explanation on why did that happen, and then a few seconds later I showed him an image of beautiful teeth. Later that night, he joined me with enthusiasm and he went along with me to the dentist in Germantown, TN who I usually visit every month or two.

There is usually a good method for children to keep them interested in keeping their dental hygiene at best and won't get them scared from visiting the dentist. Germantown, TN, where we live, currently is pretty busy, so I must keep myself focused on whatever I do, especially on my oral health which is essential to my job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home





Name: Overwhelmed

My complete profile

It wasn't supposed to work this way...Parts 1 through 10

(the story of the private, domestic adoption of our son)


(Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)
(Part 5)
(Part 6)
(Part 7)
(Part 8)
(Part 9)
(Part 10- Adoption Finalization)

Fostering isn't for the faint of heart!

(our journey to adopt again through foster-to-adopt, the good, the bad, & everything in between)


Adoption #2- considering the State
More Adoption #2 thoughts
Adoption #2- Back to considering the State
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Family Foster Home Licensing Prep Checklist
Adoption #2- Long overdue update
PS-MAPP class homework assignment
Our preliminary home inspection went well!
Adoption #2: Licensing update
Adoption #2- Foster Facts
Adoption #2: I love it when things go my way!
Adoption #2- The home inspection
Adoption #2- We failed our home inspection!
Adoption #2- We passed the follow-up home inspection!
Adoption #2- Still waiting
Adoption #2- We're getting closer
Adoption #2- An update & a lead
Adoption #2- The lead that didn't pan out.
Adoption #2- We're licensed!
Adoption #2- We have a tiny baby here!
Adoption #2- Update on this precious little girl.
Adoption #2- Quick update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is staying longer!
Adoption #2- Baby Bug is growing!
Adoption #2- Overdue update on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- The latest on Baby Bug
Adoption #2- Shopping spree for Baby Bug
Being a Foster Parent Does Not Make Me A Saint
Adoption #2- Another Placement Call!
Adoption #2- Placement Meeting- UPDATED!
Adoption #2- We have Boo at our home!
Adoption #2- Meeting Boo
Adoption #2- I'm angry on Boo's behalf!
Adoption #2- A Birthday Party for Boo
Adjusting to three 3 and under!
Stressful moments in fostering.
Adoption #2- Update on our foster daughters
CPS Workers Jerking Our Chain!
It's getting much worse!
Fostering: Update on Baby Bug
Fostering: Update on Boo
The effects of fostering on Snuggle Bug
The time is drawing near to let go of Baby Bug.
Good conversation with Baby Bug's dad.
Boo has a Permanency hearing coming soon!
My heart is breaking!
Bittersweet news about Baby Bug.
Next Friday is going to be tough.
Packing up Baby Bug's belongings
It's done- Baby Bug is gone.
Working on finding peace, one day at a time.
Referral to the Early Intervention Program
Baby Bug update
Home Inspection for re-licensing
Parole granted for Boo's bio mom
Baby Bug is turning 1 year old soon.
Day 2 of Boo's permanency hearing
A prayer answered today!
Attending Baby Bug's 1st birthday party
Foster news
Good news for Boo's case
Boo's bio family visits
Termination Trial date set!
A new caseworker for Boo
I've been asked to testify in court.
Court hearing for "John Doe"
Contested termination trial begins tomorrow afternoon
Boo's adoption has been finalized!

Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 2)
Reading Books by Randy Alcorn
Grains of Gratitude
Are you smarter than a 5th grader?
Favorite Ingredients Friday (Cupid's Cups)
Adoption #2- Creating a Photo Scrapbook
WFMW (Crayola Twistables Slick Stix)
Look what Snuggle Bug can do!
Adoption #2- The Paperwork (Round 1)
Imagine my surprise!
























Add to Technorati Favorites Blog Flux Directory Google PageRank 
Checker Tool



Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Top Parents blogs

Subscribe to Overwhelmed With Joy!

Add to My AOL

Add to netvibes

Powered by FeedBurner

Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Google


Powered By: